Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9.1 release?

OS 9.1 release?
Senior User
Oct 24, 2000, 08:42 AM
Well the title should say it all.. But I can honestly say that i'm not at all interested in OS X. I think people are only getting excitied about it because it looks nice! So.. OS 9.1 will more than likely be the last great true Macintosh OS that we will ever have! And it's one that I can see myself using for many monthes, if not years to come. 9.0.4 has been great, and it would seem 9.1 will be even better. So.. when are we likely to get it?
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2000, 10:36 AM

I'm also tired of the treadmill - new OS - get new peripherals - loads of updates etc.

For my authoring/publishing business my Performa 6360 does everything I expect of
it and is very stable and reliable using OS 8.1 - my Centris is also still in use on 8.1.

My iMac on OS 9.0.4 is for internet and leisure use only - I love the speed and the system
but am also looking forward to 9.1. The reports about 9.1 being in final testing would lead
one to believe we might see it come to market in Dec or Jan.

One of the selling features of the Mac has been "ease of use" - it seems to me that this
can no longer be a claim with OS X, and if Apple pushes users into this system, the market
already small, will shrink!

In my opinion Apple will make a grave mistake if they don't offer new users and existing
users their choice at time of purchase.

Oct 24, 2000, 03:48 PM
I have been a Macuser since about System 4.2 and I have OS X beta, the stability is awesome, the speed is somewhat lacking on my 300MHz G3.
While there will certainly be an adjustment period and hopefully some of the customizability will find its way into OS X it does look to be a good start toward the future of Mac computing. Don;t let te complexities of Unix scare you off, from what I have seen so far Apple has done a good job of hiding that from the user.
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2000, 04:34 PM
I read that 9.1 should be out within the next month. But, does anyone know if this is going to be a downloaded patch or a full up release that we'll need to purchase? I haven't seen any information on that at all...

20 Inch Intel iMac * MacBook 2 GHz * 60GB iPod * 4GB iPhone
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2000, 07:40 PM
It is going to be downloadable much like the last Mac OS 9 Update. It will be a rather hefty download however, and yes it should surface within the next month or so.
Senior User
Oct 24, 2000, 08:08 PM
A store close by to where I work in London had OS X Beta running on a G4 DP 500MHz. And while (as I stated before) it's very pretty.. I was disappointed with it's sluggishness! Sure, it's a Beta, But on a top of the range Power Mac, I expected snappy folder actions at the very least! I'd quite happily settle for a version of OS 9 with the looks of OS X. But I just don't like the way OS X works at all. It goes against everything I have come to expect of a Mac OS. Anyway.. Enough of the rant! I look forward to the next version of OS 9 immensely.

And yes, I think I read on the Apple Insider board that OS 9.1 would be a free download. But it wasn't that clear on when we could freely download it! I guess I can wait a few more weeks.
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2000, 06:12 AM
The only version of 9.1 I have seen was a largish install (200 some megs) which ypically means it will ship as a pay upgrade, but I don't think that will happen.
9.1 will ship in ~2 weeks

-See Yea!
Forum Links
Forum Rules