Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > missing File system access modules.

missing File system access modules.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2000, 07:03 PM

Hi.As a new user,I have a problem.On restarting my imac rev c 266 running 8.6 I was informed that "No File System Access modules could be found in your System Folder.Therefore the Foreign File Access software was not installed".Please can anyone help?I am now unable to play Audio C.D's.Thanks.

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2000, 08:44 PM

From the Extension Manager Control Panel make sure the "Foreign File Access" extension is selected and loaded.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2000, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by spicyjeff:
From the Extension Manager Control Panel make sure the "Foreign File Access" extension is selected and loaded.
Hi spicyjeff.Thanks for the idea-but no good.I even started with ALL extensions on,with the same result.Any other ideas.anyone.

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2000, 10:27 PM

Make sure your Apple CD Driver extension is also active. Then try deleting the CD prefs located in the Preferences folder inside the System folder...restart and see what happens. While you are at it do the same for Finder prefs.

If still no luck then try creating a second System folder using the CDs that came with your Mac. Mac sure you DO NOT to a Clean Install since you want two System Folders. After getting the second system folder in place then create two empty folders in the older system folder and place the Finder suitcase in one and the System suitcase in the other. Both are at the root level of the System folder. then once this is complate you can restart your mac and it will boot off the new system folder.

Once booted try to play your CDs...what happens now? If it works try moving those extensions I mentioned before to the old system folder and putting the Finder and System back in place, then put the newer system folder in the trash and reboot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules