Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Do I have a security problem??

Do I have a security problem??
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2002, 08:26 AM

Hello, I run a small Mac lab and teach the students at a Catholic school in Minnesota. We currently use OS 9.1 to 9.2.2 (depends on when the computer was purchased). We have a 512K DSL connection that comes into the router and then into the network. I see my problem everyday I work. Here is the problem: I have multiusers set up on the Macs so students in different grades don't get into stuff they haven't been taught yet. If I have a break, I always log out all the computers so they are at the login area and ready to go for the next class. What I see everyday is anywhere between 1-8 (I have 18 iMacs) of the computers will try to log themselves into a certain area. I had a friend set up the router to not allow any incoming access except for our web page which will soon be on our file server at school. Do I have a security problem where people are trying to login to these computers from the net?? Or is this something that is a problem with multiple users?? Any help would be appreciated!!

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2002, 01:31 PM

First guess - kids in the classes are trying to access other grades' files.

Is that a security problem, or something that's totally expected given the nature of your environment?

As for whether it's coming from inside or outside of your network, and assuming you're using IP, the server logs should show IP addresses and you should be able to tell from there.

Without knowing how you're sharing the files, though, it's harder to tell. More info would probably help.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2002, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by Camelot:
<STRONG>First guess - kids in the classes are trying to access other grades' files.

Is that a security problem, or something that's totally expected given the nature of your environment?

As for whether it's coming from inside or outside of your network, and assuming you're using IP, the server logs should show IP addresses and you should be able to tell from there.

Without knowing how you're sharing the files, though, it's harder to tell. More info would probably help.</STRONG>
Hey Camelot, thanks for the reply. First guess is wrong though, as this is happening when no one else but me is in the classroom. All the computers in the lab do have File Sharing turned on so I can copy stuff to them easily. We don't have a server that runs our network, the dsl modem/router runs it. What other info do you need to help me??

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Apr 3, 2002, 08:40 PM

So what exactly do you see when these computers are "trying to log themselves in" in the following sentence?
What I see everyday is anywhere between 1-8 (I have 18 iMacs) of the computers will try to log themselves into a certain area.
To my knowledge, a remote user cannot just take control of a desktop and log on using Multiple Users unless you have VNC or some other desktop sharing software installed. Remote users COULD connect via AppleShare IP (if that's enabled) and access any files/folders you may have shared, but they shouldn't be detected unless you've got the FIle Sharing Monitor open. Thus, it would seem to me that this is something local, and may not be a problem at all. Without knowing what you see when you say that "[the computers are] trying to log themselves in", I don't think anyone can say for sure.

More information should help to provide a better diagnosis.

Best of luck,
Steve
12" iBook 900

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2002, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by infiniti:
<STRONG>So what exactly do you see when these computers are "trying to log themselves in" in the following sentence?

To my knowledge, a remote user cannot just take control of a desktop and log on using Multiple Users unless you have VNC or some other desktop sharing software installed. Remote users COULD connect via AppleShare IP (if that's enabled) and access any files/folders you may have shared, but they shouldn't be detected unless you've got the FIle Sharing Monitor open. Thus, it would seem to me that this is something local, and may not be a problem at all. Without knowing what you see when you say that "[the computers are] trying to log themselves in", I don't think anyone can say for sure.

Best of luck,
Steve</STRONG>
Well, it will ask for the password that what ever user it decides to go into. So if it wanted to go into the user I have set up called middle school, it will be asking for that password. Just like it would if someone was sitting at the computer wanting to login to that user. Kinda freaks me out, like our school is haunted or something.

Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2002, 11:50 PM

This is in Mac OS 9? You don't have voice recognition turned on by any chance do you? If you do, it will listen for you to say a user's name, (or a random sound that it thinks sounds like middle_school_student or whatever) then select that user and pop up their password dialog.

I remember that happening for awhile when I was running Mac OS 9. Kinda weirded me out.

Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2002, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by infiniti:
<STRONG>So what exactly do you see when these computers are "trying to log themselves in" in the following sentence?

Best of luck,
Steve</STRONG>
Actually, with BackOrifice, you can take control of a desktop...........running windows.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2002, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by Mithras:
<STRONG>This is in Mac OS 9? You don't have voice recognition turned on by any chance do you? If you do, it will listen for you to say a user's name, (or a random sound that it thinks sounds like middle_school_student or whatever) then select that user and pop up their password dialog.

I remember that happening for awhile when I was running Mac OS 9. Kinda weirded me out.</STRONG>
I am not sure on this one, but I don't think so. Will check this on Friday when I go back to work! Good idea!!!

Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2002, 05:22 AM

If the voice recognitions is the problem, it sounds like something students would try to play with, can users turn on voice recognitions for the whole system?

Forum Links
Forum Rules