Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Slow Startup

Slow Startup
Oct 29, 2000, 12:40 AM

I installed a demo version of Dave, and found that i didn't like it, so i removed it.
I noticed that after i installed it, and after i removed it, OS 9 boots up very slowly. All the icons come out, but the control strip doesn't appear yet. When you click the mouse, nothing happens. about 2-3 minutes later, the control strip finally appears, and computer works as normal.
I know it has something to do with Dave, cos i read somewhere before in this forum (can't find the thread though) a very long while ago about someone having this pblm. Could someone enlighten? thanx..

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2000, 05:39 AM

If you have maccsbug, break into it during this long pause, and type 'bye' and see if that removs the delay

------------------
-See Yea!

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2000, 10:10 PM

Another thing you can try - use Sherlock to find every trace
of Dave and delete/trash it - then go thru the control panels,
extensions and preferences to make sure there is no trace left.
Then shut down and start up (not restart) and see how things
behave.

WDL

niacin  (op)
Oct 31, 2000, 08:39 AM

Thanx for the replies.
When i removed dave from my computer, i used sherlock to check anything that had dave in the name. Apparently it wasn't enough to prevent my computer from still booting up slowly.
I remember vaguely that i read it was something about some sort of networking settings, or the presence of some extension somewhere in the system folder...

Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2000, 03:52 AM

Hmm... delete AppleShare PDS file in root. Its invisible.
Delete the "Recent Servers" folder from the "Apple Menu Items" folder...
Also make sure that your network settings are not looking for DHCP servers etc. at startup, if there are none there...

Cipher13

Forum Links
Forum Rules