Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Basic difference between MacOS 8.1 and 8.5/8.6

Basic difference between MacOS 8.1 and 8.5/8.6
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2002, 07:01 PM

I'm currently using MacOS 8.1 on a PowerBook 1400c/117 with 32MB RAM and a 2 GB Harddrive. I'm thinking 'bout updating to MacOS 8.5 and then 8.6
Is it worth the money? What's the basic difference between those two? Will 8.6 perform better or worse on my machine?
I think I'll have enough RAM, a friend of mine currently uses 8.6 on her iMac with 32MB of RAM. What do you think?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2002, 07:50 PM

Mac OS 8.6 over 8.1 adds a flurry of new features, bug fixes, and other enhancements. Mac OS 8.6 will be a little slower on your machine than 8.1, but you will be able to use the newest CarbonLib to run carbon applications, you will have the new application switcher, and more.

Do yourself a favor and buy some more RAM. At least get it up to 48 MB, that should be fine if you are doing OK on 32 MB with 8.1.

Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2002, 08:03 PM

Well, I'm considering to buy 32MB of RAM, it's not that expensive anymore at ebay. I can get it for approximately $70, I think that's ok.

[ 04-05-2002: Message edited by: D'Espice ]
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one

<Gorilla in the Car>
Apr 7, 2002, 06:09 PM

oh please, look up your memory on http://www,coastmemory.com
you shouldnt have to pay an arm and a leg for ancient memory"L"

Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2002, 11:24 AM

Just did, but they don't have any prices, I'll have to call them. Although I can't imagine that they are cheaper than eBay I will try.

Apr 9, 2002, 05:19 AM

OS 8.5 is PowerPC native (whereas 8.1 and earlier all contain some 68k code), so you will probally see a slight speed increase. I think you would definatly want some more RAM though.

Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2002, 07:57 AM

I definitely will get some more RAM, I'm thinkin' 'bout 32MB more of RAM, so I'll hit the limit of my PowerBook.

But I just talked to a friend I visited a month ago in Chicago (As you might know I don't live there right now). She had an iMac, one of the oldest ones ever produced, with 32MB of RAM and the 233MHz G3-CPU.
Well, she told me today that she's running MacOS 8.6 and as far as I remember, it was running pretty well... But still, I know that I certainly need more RAM.

Forum Links
Forum Rules