Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.22 slows down over time on dual800...wtf?

9.22 slows down over time on dual800...wtf?
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2002, 06:04 PM

hi there, ive been using 9.2.2 recently, and over time (say 1/2 hour) the os slows down to a fraction of the speed it normally is...as i type now, the cursor is taking a few secnds to cash up with the words- flash can play files (at a good frame rate) that it could when i started up- anyone else had this? is there a fix? all i have been doing is using photoshop- 700 mb dedicated to it, 1.2 total in machine, vm off. anyone help? im concidering sending to apple... i only bought the machine just after the most recent rev was announced (end of jan)

thanks!

Senior User
Apr 8, 2002, 06:33 PM

You need to run Utility Disks at least once a month to keep things snappy. Here are links to the best three.
http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html
http://www.symantec.com/consumer_products/home-mac.html
http://www.micromat.com/
Who are the Brain Police?

chris.p  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2002, 07:20 PM

thanks- i have disk warrior- the thing is, i use a g4/400/agp/256mb at work, and it doesnt suffer from this and the last time any disk utility was run on it wasa ges (posibly a year or two) ago -is it a problem wit all quick silvers, or my quick silver ?

edit- i also use 9.04 on the work machine, and use 9.2 at home- also carbon lib 1.5 on home, and latest nvidia drivers. would downgrading to 9.04 solve the problem? i would have thought if it was a disk problem, it would be there from start up- this happens over a period of time from start up. i will run disk warrior still- thanks for the help so far!

chris.p  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2002, 04:17 PM

found out the problem- i have to downgraade to version 1.4.3 of the cd/dvd extension.

Forum Links
Forum Rules