Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > conflict catcher found extension, but now what?

conflict catcher found extension, but now what?
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2000, 08:13 AM

Hello everyone,

After weeks of troubleshooting my system wide crashes, I downloaded the demo of Conflict Catcher, and it found my problem extension. It happens to be the ATI Grapchics accelerator extension. This didn't totally surprise me, since most of my problems began after installation of a Rage Orion card (I had also installed a USB card, Visor software, compact flash software at the same time).

I have moved the extension to the beginning of the loading order with hopes this will fix everything. But I'm skeptical that this will really work, so I'm hoping someone will have some advice for me.

I have emailed ATI tech support many times, and their response is almost always unhelpful, and it takes 2 weeks to arrive.

I really like the ATI card, as it makes Madden 2000 and Rainbow Six quite enjoyable. I would hate to get rid of it already.

My system is a PowerMac 6500. I have the on-board acceleration with this model, which led me to do a custom install of the extensions for the Rage Orion card.
Does anyone here have any experience with ATI extensions? Should I be running my monitor at any set resolution, or does the resolution have nothing to do with how well my system runs?

On the same topic, I haven't been able to use my "apple Video Player" software since I installed the card. Previously, I would be able to watch tv on my mac (with the use of my VCR's tuner), but now when I run the apple video player, I don't have the option of watching video any more (audio comes in loud and clear). This is obviously due to my using the new ATI card. Are there any work arounds that will allow me to watch video again (without having to connect monitor to old port).

Thanks very much for any help, and sorry for this long posting,
Lanny

Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2000, 08:47 AM

Maybe something needs to load *before* the problem extension. (????)

I have an ATI video card also. It came with its own Video Player software. And, I have a VCR connected as well. My Apple Video Player does not work in conjunction with the VCR either. I suspect that an ATI extension makes their Video Player the default.

Gregg

[This message has been edited by Gregg (edited 02-03-2000).]
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2000, 02:21 PM

Walker,

Not to worry, re-ordering extensions on the Mac is a well-known and time-proven way of getting around certain conflicts. Before the likes of Conflict Catcher, we used to just rename the troubled pieces. That still works, but can cause trouble when updates look for files based on the file names.
Kick back and enjoy your games! :d

Scott

Walker  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2000, 08:10 AM

Gregg,

I checked my ATI software installer disk, and I looked at the web site. I can't find ATI's version of the video player. Is your card a rage Orion?

ATI tech support hasn't been that good. They keep answering my questions with questions of their own.

Do you know where I could download ATI's video player?

Originally posted by Gregg:
Maybe something needs to load *before* the problem extension. (????)

I have an ATI video card also. It came with its own Video Player software. And, I have a VCR connected as well. My Apple Video Player does not work in conjunction with the VCR either. I suspect that an ATI extension makes their Video Player the default.

Gregg

[This message has been edited by Gregg (edited 02-03-2000).]

Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2000, 08:52 AM

Walker,

My card is an older one, the Xclaim VR video card. I don't know of a place to download the Xclaim Video Player if you did not find it on ATI's web site. I just wondered if it had been shipped with your card, and you chose not to install it. Perhaps one more try at ATI would help. Ask them if their Video Player would work, and where you can get it. I found them to be somewhat helpful, though as you say, after a delay.

(I wasn't trying to rhyme.....that happens all the time.)

Gregg
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Walker  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2000, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by Walker:
Hello everyone,

After weeks of troubleshooting my system wide crashes, I downloaded the demo of Conflict Catcher, and it found my problem extension. It happens to be the ATI Grapchics accelerator extension. This didn't totally surprise me, since most of my problems began after installation of a Rage Orion card (I had also installed a USB card, Visor software, compact flash software at the same time).

I have moved the extension to the beginning of the loading order with hopes this will fix everything. But I'm skeptical that this will really work, so I'm hoping someone will have some advice for me.

I have emailed ATI tech support many times, and their response is almost always unhelpful, and it takes 2 weeks to arrive.

I really like the ATI card, as it makes Madden 2000 and Rainbow Six quite enjoyable. I would hate to get rid of it already.

My system is a PowerMac 6500. I have the on-board acceleration with this model, which led me to do a custom install of the extensions for the Rage Orion card.
Does anyone here have any experience with ATI extensions? Should I be running my monitor at any set resolution, or does the resolution have nothing to do with how well my system runs?

On the same topic, I haven't been able to use my "apple Video Player" software since I installed the card. Previously, I would be able to watch tv on my mac (with the use of my VCR's tuner), but now when I run the apple video player, I don't have the option of watching video any more (audio comes in loud and clear). This is obviously due to my using the new ATI card. Are there any work arounds that will allow me to watch video again (without having to connect monitor to old port).

Thanks very much for any help, and sorry for this long posting,
Lanny

Here's an update.....I called ATI, and after 1/2 hour on the phone, he admitted there is a problem with the ATI extensions and OS9. I think his exact words were "we have been getting a lot of calls on it." I asked if this means that they are working on an update, and he said that he wasn't sure, but he hoped so. I asked him if the MacOS 9 update would help, he said, "it might."

I'm a little frustrated with this. I've moved the extensions from the beginning to the end and no help. I think I'll give OS 9 update another couple of weeks to surface, but if it isn't out, I'm buying a 3dfx Voodoo 3 2000 card. It's a crying shame that I have to install a 3 dfx card with beta software in order to have better performance than an Apple supported ATI card.

Forum Links
Forum Rules