Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Boot problem after updating disk driver with FWB

Boot problem after updating disk driver with FWB
Oct 1, 2001, 11:50 PM

I am running mac os 9.2.1 and I just updated my disk driver for drive B with FWB v4.5 and everythign seemed to be working. It updated it fine and i restarted while on drive A and the drive that i updated(drive b) mounted fine. Drive B is an HFS+ drive btw. Ok, so i try and boot onto drive B that i updated and i get a blinking system disk on startup. So i restart onto drive A and here i am. I can mount drive B, but it doesnt mount by itself. This is obviously the problem. The drive doesnt mount and therefore the computer cannot start up on it. I dont really want to use FWB anymore so maybe if i can get apples drivers back it would all work. The problem is i cannot reformat my drive. Techtool pro gives me lots of errors on volume structure: startup file allocation file etc. But it cannot fix it. This is a serious problem because i need to be able to boot from drive B. It has always worked in the past and now with the new stupid FWB driver it doesnt work anymore.
All help is apprieciated.
Thank you.
DOS Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq, Tandy, and millions of others are by far the most popular, with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans, on the other hand, may note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans, and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -- New York Times, November 26, 1991

Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2001, 07:20 AM

Boot from a MacOS CD and in Drive Setup there should be an option "Update hard disk driver" or something similar.

Failing that, install an OS onto it and that will hopefully update the driver before the installation starts.

Oct 2, 2001, 09:42 PM

thank you so much. when i booted off the cd it let me put apples original driver back. YAY. whats up with that stupid FWB

btw: sorry about the multiple posts. i dindt know where to post this problem and i needed it fixed sorry

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: manofsteel300 ]
DOS Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq, Tandy, and millions of others are by far the most popular, with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans, on the other hand, may note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans, and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -- New York Times, November 26, 1991

Forum Links
Forum Rules