Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iTools/Homepage and mp3 files

iTools/Homepage and mp3 files
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2001, 07:21 PM

I seem to remember hearing that iTools would not accept or allow downloading of mp3 files. I don't remember where or when I heard this, but that is what seems to be happening with the mp3's I uploaded to my iDisk. This is how I'm trying to use them- I am trying to create a mirror site on Homepage to the one my (actor) wife currently has on Earthlink. We will be ditching Earthlink soon because it can't deliver DSL to our house. I'm no HTML expert, but I copied the code and files over to iDisk, and made a few necessary changes. However, now the mp3 files download as a page of text instead of coming through the download manager (for whatever browser) and firing off iTunes when completed, as this is what the mp3 files do when I'm downloading them from the Earthlink site. I've tried everything, from having them in the Movies folder, the Music folder, the Public folder and just in the sites folder. I don't think it's the browser setup, as the Earthlink site behaves as it should, and all four browsers (NS, IE, iCab & Opera) behave the same way.

Here is what I'm talking about:
http://home.earthlink.net/~hartnoise

and
http://homepage.mac.com/valvashon

I would appreciate it if a few people out there would try to download the mp3's from the mac.com site and see what they get. I have the code for one of the songs written a little differently than the other, but it doesn't seem to matter.

These mp3's were created using iTunes, and we have the rights to post them on a personal, not for profit web page, so I would hope that Apple would allow this. I did a search for "mp3 iTools" but it came up empty. I also have not posted to the Apple boards, I'm heading over there next. Thanks.

Val

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2001, 07:32 PM

The MIME type is not set correctly on the server (intentionally most likely)

Should have:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>
audio/mpeg mpga mp2 mp3
</font>[/code]

in the mime.types file

This could be adjusted using a .htaccess file, though I think that is a violation of the Terms of Service in this case.

But just FYI it would be:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>
AddType audio/mpeg .mp3
</font>[/code]

but that is pretty useless here.
I always use protection when fscking my Mac... Do you?

Forum Links
Forum Rules