Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9 and Internet Connections

OS 9 and Internet Connections
Paul Spitsen
Feb 28, 2000, 01:50 PM
Can someone help me with what software is best to use when connecting a G3 power pc running OS 9 to the internet. I have tried ARA and have set all settings similiar to my old 040 machine and same Global Village 56.6 modem. I can establish a connection however I can not achieve a connection greater than 38K. ALso, ARA dials in real slow and Netscape 4.7 takes forever to load and display web pages. My old 040 machine was much faster. What gives?
Feb 28, 2000, 07:08 PM
What you could do is try checking the settings for your modem by opening up the Modems control panel in the Control Panels folder.

OR what you could also try is by using the FreePPP software to connect to the internet instead of the ARA. You can get FreePPP by making a search for it at http://www.versiontracker.com/

FreePPP allows you to change many settings for your modem and internet connection.
Paul Spitsen
Feb 28, 2000, 07:13 PM
I have already tried using Free PPP. In fact I use it on my older 040 machine without any problems.

When I loaded Free PPP on my G3 running OS 9 the control strip had an red X through it. SO it must not be Mac OS 9 compatible.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2000, 07:37 PM
at the risk of crucifiction, i will say that the Global Village modems are NFG.

the last one i had that worked well was a 28.8 years ago and the ones i had after that were sliding downhill badly... and all my relatives that used them had virtually the same experience as i did. i had a teleport 56k and it was a complete exercise in frustration... and my last GV modem. i use a Zoom DualMode and it has always connected me first time every time and at a decent connection speed, currently 50,667 bps using earthlink as my ISP and my Mac connects at that speed every time. of course i am dying to get DSL but am waiting for rates to drop a bit more and availability is also a problem, Mac-friendly availability that is. i am somewhat non-plussed that in the face of the popularity and sales figures of recent Macs that these dinosaurs don't get wise and take care of Mac users as regards DSL, etc... hell, it is easier to support Macs on their damn networks than it is pc's... a friend of mine recently (ok, it was a few months ago) became a 'beta' subscriber to timewarner cable modem service here in Manhattan and they sent a bunch of service rep's out to see what was involved with getting a Mac on their network. the windows-only guy from timewarner was stupified by how easy it was and said so: "is that all there is to it?" ok, so i was not there, but it must've happened that way because my good friend and true told me so.

but i digress.

your experience is not unusual. it has been blamed on many things, it seems to be a combination of a slightly improper modem script and a timing issue in the GV chip as well as the iMac modem's chip, or so i have read.

i suggest you try every modem script that is remotely likely to work, and you can find most of them by going to www.versiontracker.com and using the search engine there to search for keywords 'modem script'...

also, try the Apple Modem Script Generator http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n10664

and ALSO, use the little 'search' link on this page (upper right hand side of this page) to search the forums for the keywords 'modem script'

you may also have to do some ISP-hopping to find one that 'likes' your modem... i've done and seen it happen with GV modems! that is, unless you decide to do a mercy-killing and rid yourself of that GV, of course. a nice blow with a 24 ounce hammer should do it.

i'll ship you the hammer, free of charge. say the word.

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 02-28-2000).]
Feb 28, 2000, 09:33 PM
I am currently using FreePPP 2.6.2 on my Mac running Mac OS 9 and it works fine.

The only two files I really use are the FreePPP extension which belong in the Extensions folder and the FreePPP Setup program which I put in the Controls Panels folder.

To select FreePPP as the software you want to use, open the TCP/IP control panel and choose it using one of the pop-up menu. Then open the FreePPP Setup program and change the settings for your modem and internet connection. Click the Connect button to start dialing.
Forum Links
Forum Rules