Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > List View on Desktop??

List View on Desktop??
Oct 12, 2001, 10:59 PM

At Tekserve, our repair place, one of the techies showed me an animation he wrote on one of the Macs they use. I noticed first of all that there were small icons in list view on his desktop. which I had never seen before. I didn't really question him about it much...I was there to see his Flash animation. But I did see that list view was available (not greyed-out) in the drop-down menu, in the Finder. When I got home I realized that on my Mac, it was not. I have OS 9.1;I didn't ask what OS he was running on his Mac. Is list view on the desktop an option in later versions of the Mac OS, or did he do a ResEdit hack or something to make it possible?

Francesca

------------------
That which does not totally confound us, makes us smarter...
That which does not totally confound us, makes us smarter...

Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2001, 02:13 AM

As a substitute, you could set it to small-icon view, and "Arrange by:" whatever you like... I'm not sure about the "list view" on the Desktop though... perhaps he did it through a 3rd party app?

Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2001, 12:06 PM

why not ask the guy at work??
and let us know the answer...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Oct 23, 2001, 05:49 PM

I just figured it out. He did it in Mac OS X or X.1.
In Finder, under the View menu (or Command J) choose
Show View Options. From there reduce your icon size to the smallest and low and behold, the Desktop will appear to have a list view.

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2001, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by ChillieMac:
<STRONG>I just figured it out. He did it in Mac OS X or X.1.
In Finder, under the View menu (or Command J) choose
Show View Options. From there reduce your icon size to the smallest and low and behold, the Desktop will appear to have a list view.</STRONG>
You can do the same in OS 9.

From the finder (desktop active) go into "View Options" in the View menu, and change the icon size to the small one. Then you can set the view to "Keep arranged by name" and it'll look the same as small icon view in OS X.
n+N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Forum Links
Forum Rules