Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > is OS9 really worth it?

is OS9 really worth it?
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 27, 2000, 05:31 PM

I am currently using OS8.5, and have had no problems with it. I haven't tried OS9 yet, so wondering, is it worth it to upgrade my OS? What are the new features?
Nemo me impune lacesset

Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2000, 05:44 PM

Moderator Emeritus
Feb 27, 2000, 09:37 PM

Thanks, very helpful. One thing I was wondering though. I'm hooked up on a LAN to an ISP that is located in the downstairs of my building. Is thier anything in OS9 that would make this type of connection better/worse?
Nemo me impune lacesset

Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2000, 09:46 PM

well Open Transport has been updated in/for MacOS 9...

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2000, 08:38 PM

os9 has some neat stuff, but it is definitely NOT worth 99 dollars. it came with my computer, so I use it all the time, but I actually would rather have 8.6. os9 doesnt have anything fantastic about. I'd just wait for os-x. if os9 only cost like 30 or 40 dollars, it might be worth it...
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

Joe D.
Feb 28, 2000, 09:54 PM

One nice thing Mac OS 9.0 has over 8.6 is better TCP/IP performance (at least for me). I am connected to the net by a cable modem, and since upgrading my G4/400 to Mac OS 9.0 (from 8.6) , I have noticed a significant jump in download speeds. My particular cable modem uses the DHCP protocol so maybe Open Transport 2.6 handles that better. Remember if you do install 9.0 to run the software update control panel to get the updates Apple has released since 9.0 came out (the Open Transport 2.6 is one such item). Give 9.0 a shot, you can always go back to 8.6 if you hate it.

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 29, 2000, 01:04 PM

Joe, I guess you're right about open transport...I use to have an older imac with 8.6 but my dvse came with os9 (and i have a cable modem) and I did forget to mention that OT is much improved.. but still... I dont think it's worth "taking a shot" with os9 for 99 dollars.... maybe if you fired up your good friend hotline to give it a try.. but if you dont like it and you buy it, you've wasted 99 dollars, which could go towards something much better like 128 megs of ram.
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

Joe D.
Feb 29, 2000, 02:03 PM

Well, since the original poster has 8.5, he can get a $20 rebate from Apple, and places like Outpost.com have Mac OS 9 on sale for about $80 (before the rebate) so it really isn't $99, its more like $60. Outpost has free overnight shipping. If it isn't worth $99, it may be worth $60.

Mar 1, 2000, 03:03 AM

macos 9 definitly sucks. my g4 came with 8.6 and since apple offered os9 for $15 or something i bought it but i sometimes feel like switching back to 8.6 with all the bugs and wierd stuff that occurs with my machine. i even had to install that patch for the new years millenium thing and thousands of other os9 related patches. really network might be a but faster but os9 is really buggy.

john

Forum Links
Forum Rules