Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Favorites Folder

Favorites Folder
Forum Regular
Feb 29, 2000, 09:00 PM

This is a little bit embarrassing. I'm an Apple authorized repair technician but I can't for the life of me figure this one out. Does anyone know?

How on earth do you remove the "Favorites" folder from your System Folder (and Apple Menu) and KEEP IT REMOVED. Every time I restart, something regenerates the folder.

I can't find anything about this annoying feature anywhere on Apple's TIL or in the forums. There MUST be a way to get rid of this Microsoft-like behavior. Someone....???? Anyone????

------------------
Damien Barrett
http://www.mrbarrett.com

Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2000, 09:26 PM

i am sure it would require a bit of ResEditing, dialog boxes have the Favorites folder in them as well... i mean to say that it is likely that you'd need to edit a few resources in order to really rid yourself of the Favorites folder, and then maybe MacOS would not like you. might even take it personally.

don't know why you'd want to, it's handy enough

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 02-29-2000).]

Damien  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 29, 2000, 10:03 PM

My Apple Menu is the core of my productivity. I have been using it for years, fine-tuning the hierarchical menus of aliases for speedy access to my most-used and essential applications/documents/etc.

BeHierarchic and AMICO are great tools.

I resent that Apple would place something new into the Apple Menu that isn't able to be removed. The MacOS has long been a bastion of user-controlled modifiablity. I view the Favorites folder as a Windows-like intrusion that mars my sleek organized productivity tool. If I wanted a menu that I couldn't modify, I'd use Windows 9x with it's sub-standard Start bar.

Aargh! Is this really written into the System? I think I'm going to poking around. ResExcellence hackers? Anyone want to help?

Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2000, 10:21 PM

you are right BeHierarchic and Amico are very nice tools. sorry you are presented with this problem. and you are right that Apple should make this more user-determinable (but maybe they have and we don't know it).

those new dialog boxes with the shortcuts were introduced along with the newer navigation services in maybe MacOS 8.5 (?) and one of those is the Faves folder shortcut... it would seem the folder is fairly strongly wedded to MacOS. also seems there must be a solution, though i am happy with the default arrangement so am blissfully ignorant as to what that solution might be. it may be very simple, but if it is not, you should check out ResExcellence.com which may have an existing edit(s) for you to rid yourself of this folder. and if they don't, email them...

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 29, 2000, 10:34 PM

Just wanted to note... I dont use the favorites thing at all, it's way too windowish and not useful for me anyways. Yes, it's always in my system folder, even if i remove it, but it's not in my apple menu. I remember it use to be, but I removed.. I think it was an alias and I just ditched it, and it never returned... but maybe it was some control panel setting (apple menu options?), but again I'm not sure... sucks that it's stuck in your apple menu, cuz if it was stuck in mine i'd be one irritated mac user.
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

RockLord
Mar 1, 2000, 05:53 PM

I love the Favorites folder! Before system 8.5 I used to make an "Aliens" folder in the Apple menu folder, and place all my alias's in there for quick access. Now this is all set up for me, and I love the fact that I can make an alias of a desired program AND put it where I want it with just one command!

Now, for even quicker access, I make the favorites folder a popup window on the desktop and changes it's contents to Button view. Now with two quick clicks I can open any favorite I want.

I find this arrangement better than that horrible Launcher anyway.....

Forum Links
Forum Rules