Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Connect in Background???

Connect in Background???
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2001, 03:27 AM

small problem here that i hope someone can help me with.
this is kind of a small thing, but it is an annoyance that i wish i could fix.

whenever i dial-up my g4 running os9.1 the computer becomes unresponsive while it connects. it didn't do this before i updated to os9.1 from 9.04 and it doesn' do it on my new imac that came running 9.1.

anybody know how i can get it back to the way it used to act so that i can continue working while dialing up?

to maybe make my problem more clear, i guess you could call what i'm trying to get my mac to do is 'connect in background' or something to that effect.

Come on, help me out if you know how to fix this.

Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2001, 04:07 AM

if you are talking about the delay that occurs when the remote access dialog box appears, you can fix that. check out this resexcellence tutorial which explains how to edit the dialog box type.

-r.

insekt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2001, 01:10 PM

Well, that's not <b>exactly</b> what I'm talking about, but close. It's like the delay or hang you mentioned (with the old-schoold white 'connecting' box monopolizing your computer, except there is no box...

I ue the control strip to connect and when i hit connect, the button stays pressed in and the computer is frozen until it connects and the apple icon begins to flash.

Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2001, 01:54 PM

Do you get the hanging problem if you try connecting using the control panel?
-c
-c

insekt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2001, 01:25 AM

well, i DID, but then i did the resedit thing suggested above and that changed it. now when i connect using the control panel everything's cool. BUT, i still want to know how i can fix the remote access control strip so it will not cause the comp to hang while connecting.[/LIST]

Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2001, 03:54 AM

Don't know if this applies to your problem, but after upgrading, it seems that update time/date via timeserver makes the system hold when using modem connection.

Peter

insekt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2001, 03:13 PM

you lost me there. what is the timeserver? i mean, i know what it sounds like, but if it's OS software, i'm not familiar with it.

Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2001, 11:57 AM

it's a computer on the internet that keeps accurate time. other macs can check the time on this machine and update their clocks if they are innaccurate. try disabling the time synchronizer extension in the extensions folder... it might "solve" the problem.

-r.

Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2001, 07:57 AM

You can also just go to the Date/time control panel, and disable Use Networktime server (or something similar to that).

Peter

insekt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2001, 04:37 PM

unfortunately i already had it uncheck or 'disabled', so that's not the cure...
any other ideas?
please?

Forum Links
Forum Rules