Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > weird crashes & files: minisport.tmp?

weird crashes & files: minisport.tmp?
Oct 22, 2001, 02:53 PM

Several times a day, I get a crash while working in any of several apps. Frozen mouse, no messages. After rebooting, I find a file called "MiniSport.tmp" in the trash. Rarely, a file called "BloodSimple.tmp" is placed there instead. The file is always zero k in size, has no resource fork, a blank icon and no contents that I can see (opened in BBEdit etc.). Filetype is BINA, with no Creator Code reported.

The crash often occurs while I am working in Illustrator, but has also occurred while *launching* MS Outlook (with no other apps active).

When the crash occurs, I run Norton and/or DFA/TTP and find no bad blocks, no damaged files and minimal (normal) fragmentation. (The machine is fully optimized weekly.) Virus defs (Norton AntiVirus) are current and reveal nothing. This is a G4/867 (Quicksilver) running OS 9.2, 640MB RAM. Was working fine for a month, then this started.

I've done full desktop rebuilds, trashed prefs, volume rebuilds, wiped the hd and reinstalled everything from scratch... and the crash still occurs.

I have suspected that these are indeed "temp" files created when a program is crashing, and that the crashes themselves are being caused by some other problem. However I'm beginning to wonder if they are actually causing the crashes.

I have found no mention of either file on any Mac website, including the symantec.com virus center. One search of the entire web (google) yielded a German user who was asking the same question back in Feb '01, but apparently no one had an answer.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

[ 10-22-2001: Message edited by: longshot ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules