Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Can't install Mac OS 9.2.1...why?

Can't install Mac OS 9.2.1...why?
Oct 22, 2001, 05:44 PM

OK, I have a new iMac. When I got it, I followed the advise given to me on these forums and partitioned the hard-disk: 3GB for 9.1 (the only version of OS 9 I have), 3GB for X and the remainder for space-consuming video and sound files. I then installed 9.1 on the first partition - no problems. Next I installed X on the second partition (still within the first 8GBs of the drive) - no problems there either.

Then I got 10.1 update in the post, with the 9.2.1 update disc also. First off I installed the update for Mac OS X, and was very impressed by how much faster everything was. So, to get the most out of Classic mode, I went to install 9.2.1 update. From within 9.1 Classic (in 10.1), I inserted the 9.2.1 update CD, and from the disk image it created, I ran the installer file. Everything was going fine until just before the install began, when a message popped up telling me I couldn't install this version on the selected disc, and that I had to either do a clean install (impossible, as it's only an update disc, not a full retail version) or choose a different destination disk. Hmmmm, I thought, as the instructions clearly stated that the update would work with 9.1. Anyway, thinking it was something to do with the partitioning, I tried it on a friend's iMac which doesn't have any partitions. His is brand new and came pre-installed with 9.2 and 10.0.4. Anyway, after installing the 10.1 update, we tried the 9.2.1 update also, but alas, the same problem.

What an earth is going on, does anyone know, and has anyone had a similar problem?

Si

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2001, 07:48 PM

Have you tried updating from 9 (not classic) ?
Later
Chuck

Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2001, 03:55 PM

I indeed guess you need to reboot your system in 9.1, and try to update to 9.2.1 from there.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Oct 23, 2001, 06:14 PM

Tried this, still didn't work.

Oct 23, 2001, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by Simon Young:
<STRONG>OK, I have a new iMac. When I got it, I followed the advise given to me on these forums and partitioned the hard-disk: 3GB for 9.1 (the only version of OS 9 I have), 3GB for X and the remainder for space-consuming video and sound files. I then installed 9.1 on the first partition - no problems. Next I installed X on the second partition (still within the first 8GBs of the drive) - no problems there either.

Then I got 10.1 update in the post, with the 9.2.1 update disc also. First off I installed the update for Mac OS X, and was very impressed by how much faster everything was. So, to get the most out of Classic mode, I went to install 9.2.1 update. From within 9.1 Classic (in 10.1), I inserted the 9.2.1 update CD, and from the disk image it created, I ran the installer file. Everything was going fine until just before the install began, when a message popped up telling me I couldn't install this version on the selected disc, and that I had to either do a clean install (impossible, as it's only an update disc, not a full retail version) or choose a different destination disk. Hmmmm, I thought, as the instructions clearly stated that the update would work with 9.1. Anyway, thinking it was something to do with the partitioning, I tried it on a friend's iMac which doesn't have any partitions. His is brand new and came pre-installed with 9.2 and 10.0.4. Anyway, after installing the 10.1 update, we tried the 9.2.1 update also, but alas, the same problem.

What an earth is going on, does anyone know, and has anyone had a similar problem?

Si</STRONG>
Do a Dirty install over the top of 9.1 Worked for me. Be sure to choose( OS 9.1 all) in extension manager

[ 10-23-2001: Message edited by: Griz ]
G4 Quicksilver 2002 800Mhz CD-RW Zip 250 15 inch LCD Apple Studio Display HPdeskjet 940c OS X 10.3.2

Oct 23, 2001, 09:03 PM

Won't this ruin Mac OS 9, or at least create a few problems? And how do I go about doing this 'Dirty' install?

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2001, 09:15 PM

Ah. I had exactly the same problem. And I've been updating my OS for years and have never had this till now. It's kinda wierd. If you're on a quick connection you should download the updater from the net - that one worked for me. Once downloaded there are two installers - make sure you choose the one to update from OS 9.1 (cause the other one only works with 9.2 to 9.2.1)

Download page

Hope that helps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules