Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iBook, modem and sleep...

iBook, modem and sleep...
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2001, 04:58 PM

Question: If I put my iBook 2001 to sleep (with the option in Energy Saver prefs to "wake when modem detects ring" checked) by closing the lid; then a fax comes in, will the machine go ahead and receive the fax with the lid closed?
If indeed it will, and if it's a multi-page fax sent by 9600 baud modem, is there any danger of damage by the machine having to "run" with the lid closed for a bit? Does anyone know the answer to these questions?

The reason I ask is that I'm dying to go to X full-time on my desktop machine, but the fact that I send and receive faxes frequently is holding me back. I realized that I could set my laptop up to be the fax machine (running 9.x, instead
of X as it is now...), and go to X on the desktop. I'm just wondering if it'll really work if the laptop is usually asleep with the lid closed.

An aside: with the laptop always on running X, but asleep most of the time; does it still run it's "housekeeping" routines at night? Or should I be running MacJanitor more often? [It's a utility made for machines running X that
aren't left on all the time. I understand that Unix-based machines need to run occasional cleanup routines to minimize clutter created by all the low-level stuff the OS does to manage data. Something like that, I'm far from an
expert...]

Thanks!
John

Forum Links
Forum Rules