Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Error Type 2

Error Type 2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2001, 03:30 PM

What the hell is the error type 2? It's happening a few times with some applications, like iCab, Napster, ICQ...

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2001, 03:41 PM

Its a memory error, to say the least without getting into to many details.

Once you receive this error you should restart as soon as possible. Since when one application steps on anothers memory space and generates a type 2 error, more are bound to follow soon from the other applications since their memory space may have been affected. Worse yet then can lead to other errors that can result in hard crashes.

To prevent this, try to find the offending application...IE 5 and Napster are too very good possibilities since they are not the cleanest pieces of code out there, and maybe allocate a bit more memory to each through the "Get Info, Memory" field.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2001, 07:50 PM

I'm going to allocate more mem to iCab and ICQ because those two are the ones I'm sure that gave me Error Type 2... and see what happens...
New post soon

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2001, 11:57 PM

Actually, I have found that deleting the applications preference files help clear of type 2 errors more frequently than increasing the RAM allocation. Also, if you get type 2's in many applications, your system anf finder files are probably corrupt, and would then need to be replaced.

------------------
The Mac Information Depot. Why go anywhere else?
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2001, 12:32 AM

oh ow... I don't think my system or finder are corrupt already... I just installed 9.1 after a clean install... what you think?

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2001, 04:42 AM

Yep, replace System File and Finder, and delete the Finder and System Preferences.

Cipher13

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2001, 04:45 AM

Hey Cipher, what about telling me how to do this?!?

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2001, 04:49 AM

No problemo
Install another System Folder somewhere - core install.
Update it.
Grab your normal System Folder, and delete the files "Finder" and "System".
Get to the new System Folder, grab the same files, and put them in the normal System Folder.
Now delete the two preference files - "Finder Preferences", and "System Preferences".
Then delete the old System Folder.
Use the System Disk to make sure your usual System Folder is selected, and reboot
In the olden days you could copy the files straight off the CD... not anymoer though
Bloody Apple...

Cipher13

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2001, 11:32 PM

What you mean "core install"? Can I install the new system folder on my 2nd partition and then move the stuff the old system folder? Or the new system folder MUST be installed on the same startup partition?
Think Diferente!

Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2001, 11:33 PM

Actually, ya can still get System and Finder right off a CD... a Restore CD, that is.

There will be a folder called "Configurations" (or similar) and a folder called "Disk Images" in that (or is it the other way around?).

Mount the disk image when you get to it, and copy over System and Finder from the System Folder on the disk image. Voila.

------------------
Be Happy.
Be happy.

Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2001, 04:23 AM

Oh yeah, forgot about that

No, it can go wherever the hell you like
Core install is an option when you choose "custom install" - only installs the basic stuff needed for a functional MacOS.

Cipher13

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2001, 06:05 AM

What I did was: I copyied the System Folder from the Software Install CD directly to my drive D, than I got the 9.1 Update and used it on the System Folder I just copy... than I moved the files in question to my old System Folder, I erased my new System Folder on drive d, and then erased my preference files... but, it didn't work. On restar I got a message telling me that the system has to be installed on the startup drive and not moved from another place... or something similar... any ideas?

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

Jan 30, 2001, 01:21 AM

You need to take the files from the restore cd, not the software install. it should work then.

Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2001, 01:57 AM

Thats why I specifically said to install it THEN get the files

Cipher13

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2001, 03:28 AM

Ignore this bit of humor.

Drive "D"?
I thought you guys use Macs?!
"Yeah I get flamed. But
I seldom burn"

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2001, 09:51 AM

Yes!! Much Respect to Giantmike, since deleting the prefs for all my applications this Mac has been so well behaved!!! I have usually thought of prefs as non-consequential in the effort to get the most speed out f my machine.. but the difference is totally brilliant! Used to crash a couple of times each hour of intensive use.. now nuttin...boyakasha chief respect innit!

opol
Jan 30, 2001, 03:03 PM

I updated to from system 9 to 9.1 in my Pismo and I started geeting lots of errors 2, specially whith IE 5 and Entourage.
Is it that the Finder and System are corrupted or just some bugs of these applications? From what I read in this tread it seems to be a OS9.1 problem.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2001, 04:15 PM

Though all of your procedures for installing and updating and finally getting to the particular system file that you want are valid, and you should certainly use the method that you feel most comfortable with, look into the following:

utility called TomeViewer (find it at versiontracker.com)

You can then extract any file you want from any particular tome (this is where the OS installers and updaters actually keep all the files). Very simple process - TomeViewer is indispensable. Easy to figure out once you have it.

Get TomeViewer here:

< http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=4561 >

[This message has been edited by confuser (edited 01-30-2001).]
Kill the brain and you kill the ghoul.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2001, 01:09 AM

Ok, now it worked...
Install 9.0.4 on my second drive, updated it to 9.1, deleted old System and Finder, moved new System and Finder in, deleted preferences, deleted all the new stuff installed on the second drive, restarted and...
Thanx guys! Let's see if I'll be free from Type 2 for a while.

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

Senior User
Jan 31, 2001, 11:06 PM

I'd have to agree with confuser, TomeViewer is great for just pulling a few items out of a system installer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules