Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > itunes visuals

itunes visuals
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2001, 07:05 PM

I love the visuals in itunes. Is there a way to record these, in sync with the music, for later playback or editing?

I've noticed a "stutter" in the movement when other apps are running or if I try to use another player with the itunes visuals. Is there any way around this? (PMG4/400ST).

Lastly, does anyone know of a speed control plug-in.
Thanks

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2001, 09:58 PM

I don't know of any way to record the visuals.

There is nothing you can do to stop the stuttering,really. It's a limit of the multitasking ability of the Mac OS. Expect it to be a little better with Mac OS X, being released in March.

Jan 29, 2001, 06:18 AM

I guess to that extent I've been pretty lucky that I've not encountered any stutterings or skippings.

------------------
post_count+1
qp
post_count+1
qp

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2001, 01:27 PM

In an article on Macintouch someone said if you hit the "?" during the visuals you get a menu to choose different options. Also the 1-0 buttons on the keyboard.
You're not drunk if you
can lie on the floor
without holding on.
~ Dean Martin

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2001, 02:19 PM

On my Dual G4/500 there is no stuttering and the full screen visuals are at a higher resolutions (less blocky) than when run on my friends iMacDV SE which has a G3/400.

iTunes probably takes advantage of the G4's Altivec unit to help along the visual processing as well is my take on this issue.

Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2001, 09:05 PM

the visualisations of iTunes look like G-FOrce to me, or if not, very similar, while iTunes can't record the visuals and sound, G-Force in SoundJam _can_ do this, so go download it, and read the documentation where it explains how

Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2001, 09:30 PM

Hello Everybody,

This might be a little of topic but I was wondering if there was any way to record then so you can use them as a screen saver.
Nick Fleming
nfleming@mac.com

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2001, 09:34 PM

How much ram do you have in your computer? In my opinion low ram would cause the skipping of the visuals. Running other programs while using the visuals in iTunes would make the skipping occur more often. Have you tried upping the amount of memory given to itunes?

Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2001, 09:55 PM

Well, yes, after you have recorded the visuals/sound using G-force in SOundJam, you can save them as a Quicktime Movie, then just run a screensaver that lets you run movies....not quite the best option, but it works

Phaedrus
Jan 29, 2001, 10:10 PM

I think you can use G-Force as a screensaver, too. You need to tweak the config file but it can be done.

Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2001, 05:21 PM

You can use the apple+shift+3 keypress to take a screen snapshot (these make great desktop pictures!) but I don't know of a way to record animation from the screen. As an additional question, the iTunes folder has a visual plug-in folder in it, and from what I understand iTunes uses the same visual plug-in format as Soundjam and Audion, so is there a way to use Soundjam or Audion plug-ins with iTunes? I have tried placing Soundjam plug-ins in the iTunes visual plug-in folder, but nothing happened.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2001, 06:24 PM

Isn't there some screen capture utility called Screen Snapz that can record motion images on your desktop and then output to Quicktime? Basically, it is a heavy-duty version of that shift-apple-3 feature we have by default. I'm not sure how good the capture frame rate will be (given that you would be generating imagery and encoding a videostream at the same time), but it's worth a try!
What's the deal with Star Wars severed limbs?

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2001, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by ajprice:
As an additional question, the iTunes folder has a visual plug-in folder in it, and from what I understand iTunes uses the same visual plug-in format as Soundjam and Audion, so is there a way to use Soundjam or Audion plug-ins with iTunes? I have tried placing Soundjam plug-ins in the iTunes visual plug-in folder, but nothing happened.
There is currently no way to change the visual in iTunes 1.0. I'd say to just wait for version 2.0 which should come with OS X. I heard however that Apple will make iTunes in two packages. Right now it's free. However, when OS X rolls out in March, there will be a pay version and a free version; as C&G has done with SoundJam. An estimated cost was $39.95. I heard this on the MacShow Live. Check out the web page and listen to the stream from 1/24/01.
www.macshowlive.com

------------------
Think different.
--------------------
"I'm so afraid, the way I feel. Days when the rain and the sun are gone. Black as night. Agony's torn at my heart too long. So afraid, slip and I fall and I die..." - Lindsey Buckingham
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

Senior User
Jan 31, 2001, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by Phaedrus:
I think you can use G-Force as a screensaver, too. You need to tweak the config file but it can be done.
Yep, you can. You just have to change a parameter or two in the G-force prefs file.
It tells you how to do it in the documentation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules