Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > system file damage

system file damage
Signe
Jan 29, 2001, 04:29 PM

I have an iMac DV running OS 8.6. I recently used TechTool Pro 2.5.3 to check the HD. All segments reported okay except for the last one, which showed the “skull and crossbones.” There was mention of system file damage which its software could not repair. However, I was not able to view the whole report. I’ve had a few buggy happenings lately, but, overall, nothing really alarming. I don’t know what the damage is, but would it be a good idea to trash the system file from the System Folder, go to a backup CD, and put a duplicate of its system file in the System Folder? Placing this newer system file in the SF would re-bless the SF, wouldn’t it? (This is the first time I’ve gotten such a warning when using TechTool Pro.)

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2001, 04:56 PM

As you mentioned, the full report may reveal other things. However, swapping a fresh system file for the current one is certainly a viable troubleshooting technique if you feel it might solve the problem.

May I also suggest that you not "trash" anything for some time afterwards - just in case. Keep the old system file in a separate folder somewhere else on your drive. Call the folder... "Standing by to be trashed".

And yes, the system folder will re-bless when putting in the new system file. In fact, if you ever encounter that your system folder is not blessed, all you do is remove the system file and then put it back in.

------------------
Kill the brain and you kill the ghoul.

Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2001, 11:17 PM

>>And yes, the system folder will re-bless when putting in the new system file. In >>fact, if you ever encounter that your system folder is not blessed, all you do is >>remove the system file and then put it back in.

Confuser.........

One major correction........remove the system file (or Finder ) close the System folder and drag/drop the remove item back into the icon of the closed system folder
bigbiker

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2001, 10:02 AM

Yes, I stand corrected.

My original description was a bit too abbreviated.
Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules