Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Two 9.1 problems: CD-RW and SanDisk

Two 9.1 problems: CD-RW and SanDisk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2001, 08:54 PM

I just got my G4/466 and it came with 9.1 preinstalled. Good. Save me the installation hassles, right? Hah...

I fixed a bunch of problems, but there are two that still won't go away. Any help with either would be greatly appreciated.

1) CD-RW installed is acting funny. I downloaded the DiscBurner update and now when I insert a CD-R, it gives me 3 choices: Standard (HFS+), iTunes (Audio CD), MP3 CD (ISO 9660). If I choose MP3 or Standard, it gives me the message "Disk initialization failed because the startup disk is full!" (My startup disk has at least 400MB free -- I have a 40GB drive divided into 6 partitions, with the startup disk being 1.2GB). If I choose iTunes, it boots up iTunes, but the CD doesn't appear on the desktop, nor in iTunes. About all I can do it eject the CD. I've tried a few CD-Rs and it acts the same with all of them. Any ideas on how I can get this to work right?

2) I have a SanDisk CompactFlash USB reader. It works fine on other machines (G4/450 and G3/??? powerbook) running 9.0.4. The extensions install correctly, and it recognizes when I insert a CompactFlash card; however, it asks to initialize the disk. I obviously don't want to do this, because there are pictures on the disk I want to save. I took a blank disk, initialized it on my camera, took a sample picture, then put it in my SanDisk reader. The Mac asked to initialize it. I said okay, and it was able to read it on my Mac. However, when I took the disk and put it back in my camera, the camera was unable to read it and needed to re-initialize it. Once I did that, it was then unreadable on my computer. So, basically, there's nothing I can do with it. I'm guessing it's a 9.1 conflict, since, well, it's causing so many other problems, but I can't be positive. I sent an email to SanDisk tech support, but I doubt I'll hear back. Anyone want to step in and help?

Thanks in advance for any assistance...

Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2001, 09:07 PM

i wonder if disc burner requires your hard drive to have 640MB+ in free space (ie. CD-sized)? maybe you should try booting your machine from a partition that has this amount of free space and see what happens.

-r.

[This message has been edited by rjenkinson (edited 01-29-2001).]

mstats
Jan 29, 2001, 10:05 PM

The CompactFlash memory card needs to be formated for a PC not Mac to be read by the camera. File Exchange control panel must be present for your Mac to read the card.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2001, 12:11 PM

Bingo! Wow, guys, thanks for the help. Right on the ball and quick, too.

I copied my Startup drive to an empty 5GB partition and restarted from that, and the CD-R worked great. (I didn't actually burn anything -- but I was able to load it, title the disc and drag and drop on to it, so I'm assuming writing the disc itself will work fine.) Then, I took everything off of my Startup drive that didn't need to be there (apps like IE and Outlook Express that come on the OS9.1 CD) and put them on another drive, leaving my 1.2GB Startup drive with just the System Folder on it, and that was plenty of room for the OS to use as CD-burning scratch space.

In an effort to minimize extensions and control panels, I had accidentally turned File Exchange off. I turned it back on and that did the trick!

Thanks again for your help!

Forum Links
Forum Rules