Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > HFS vs. HFS+

HFS vs. HFS+
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2001, 08:09 PM

Can someone tell me the differences!?

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2001, 10:10 PM

Without the tech specs in front of me (visiting away from home base) the essence is this:

The standard Mac OS divides a hard drive's space into a fixed number of blocks - the larger the hard drive, the larger each block is. Thus, on a 6 meg HD each block may be 64K - so even if you only create a one sentence note, it will occuply a 64k block - anything larger than 64k occupies more 64k blocks.

HFS+ increases the number of blocks by a huge amount - therefore, each block is smaller - perhaps 8k, therefore the one sentence note only occupies a 8k block.

Besides more efficient use of the HD space, files are mapped more accurately - it's a winner every way.

The Apple method of converting to HFS+ is a pain in the butt. Get the inexpensive Alsoft PlusMaker - a beautiful little program that does the conversion with the greatest of ease - have used it on all four of my Macs and with several
OS's.

HFS+ can only be used with OS 8.1 and all OSs since, and the hard drive must be 1 gig or greater.

When you have converted, your Mac can still read and use disks that are HFS Standard, but Macs running HFS Standard cannot use disks in HFS+.

With PlusMaker you can also preview what your hard drive looks like now, and what it will look like after you convert, and tells you how much space you will save.

Run a good disk utility like TechTool Pro before conversion and optimize - do the same immediately after conversion.

WDL

[This message has been edited by WDL (edited 05-11-2001).]

Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2001, 12:29 AM

Thanx!! Now I see everything clears!!

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

Forum Links
Forum Rules