Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Appearance question

Appearance question
exa
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2000, 10:27 PM

In os 9.04, what are the extensions/control panels that determine how themes work and stuff? I am guessing quicktime and the appearance control panel, anything else? I am asking because all themes I use make me crash... it appears to be some weird extension conflict with my kensington mouse drivers (and it works when they are disabled) so I am trying everything I can for working themes.... any ideas?

Administrator
Oct 31, 2000, 01:02 AM

The Appearance is the only CP that I know of involved in themes.

Preferences: Desktop Pattern Prefs, Desktop Pictures Prefs

May be involved: Mac OS Preferences, Finder Preferences, Display Preferences

To catch them all for sure, use List View of your Preferences folder. Open the Appearance CP and change everything. Apply the changes, close the CP, and see which prefs have a newer modification time.

The problem may be the Finder and/or Appearance CP running low on memory. The cool themes take more RAM. Increase the Appearance CP and Finder memory allocation. You can do this directly on the Appearance CP. To increase the Finder allocation, boot from a different disk so the Finder you work on will not be running. Use ResEdit. Change the Finder to an application. Then change the memory setting. Change the Finder back to the original filetype. Reboot.

I increased both and have had no problems with themes.

[This message has been edited by reader50 (edited 10-31-2000).]

exa  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2000, 03:11 PM

hmm, no work... oh well

Forum Links
Forum Rules