Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Vitual PC on OS9

Vitual PC on OS9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2000, 06:22 AM

Someone told me it's impossible to run Virtual Pc on his iBook with OS 9. So he istalled OS 8.6. Is this true??? I'm buying an iBook within 2 days and I wanna know whether to put OS 9 or 8.6 on it. Any suggestions are welcome.

KOen

VRL
Senior User
Nov 1, 2000, 07:44 AM

Running Virtual PC 3 on OS 9.0.4 works very well (Windows 98 is what I'm running, but I noticed that 2000 and Red Hat Linux should work as well). Not sure why someone said it wouldn't work. One recommendaton: Partition your hard drive and put VPC on its own partition. (A personal preference more than anything. I think it works better this way!)

Enjoy ...
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2000, 01:13 PM

VPC 3.03 (Windoze 98) runs great on a number of my OS 9.0.4 Macs - G3/G4 just fine.

Scott

[This message has been edited by slboett (edited 11-01-2000).]

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2000, 02:45 PM

VPC 2 does not run on OS 9 but will run on OS 8.6. I think this is what your friend was talking about. Just get the latest version of VPC (its 3. something) and it will work just fine.

Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2000, 03:56 PM

VPC v2.1.3 Will run on OS 9.04. I've done it. I've also upgraded to v3.03 and can't say that I see much difference in performance. If you need USB you have to go to v3, I think. Connectix recommends Win98 for USB, but I suspect you could use a later version of Win95 that supports USB if you could find the right drivers. Anyone know about this?

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2000, 04:35 PM

Yes, 2.1.3 will run in OS 9.0.4.
All versions have very limited USB support - not much beyond the mouse and keyboard really.

Scott

Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2000, 03:53 AM

Version 3 didn't work for me. Kept crashing. The 3.03A updater fixed that, and it runs fine.

Cipher13

koen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2000, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the replies. I found the software also for mac, so I won't use VPC.
KOen

Bobby
Nov 5, 2000, 06:44 PM

I have an iBook w/OS 9.0.4 & use VPC 3.03. I find its rather slow, but otherwise works fine. I acually installed Windows ME on it, and there are deffinatly no incompatabilites. I figure I'd probably do better w/More ram (I've got 64 MB Physical)...

Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2000, 09:04 PM

I run Virtual PC on my ibook firewire and I used to run it in ibook original... it runs much faster on my ibook firewire... it helps that I have 192 megs of ram.. I don't recomend using it if you have less then 96 megs of ram.

Forum Links
Forum Rules