Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Startup - Smiling Mac, and nothing else

Startup - Smiling Mac, and nothing else
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2000, 04:44 PM

As a long time Mac user, I pride myself in troubleshooting the things that others can't. But this one has me stumped. Our G4 was recently moved to another office. I did it myself, so I know that it wasn't bumped or dropped. Relocated it, plugged in the ether, and now it presents the smiling Mac on the gray background, and that's it. It goes nowhere. It starts up from the install CD (9.02) just fine, and both Norton and Techtool check it out A-OK on absolutely every test. I'm facing a brick wall. Help! I fear that I'll need to initialize and reinstall, which isn't a disaster...but a king size drag!

Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2000, 04:49 PM

UPDATE***

I ran Disk Tools. It came back with the message: MOUNTCHECK FOUND MINOR ERRORS. It also claims to repair the problem, but the startup problem persists, and Disk Tools keeps finding the same error. ??????

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2000, 02:54 PM

Have you tried uplugging ether and seeing if it loads?
sound like hrdwr config is off. maybe line is 10baseT

Art D
Nov 4, 2000, 06:35 PM

Hi tonewheel,

Sounds to me like either the "System" file (suitcase) or the "Mac OS ROM" file is corrupt. Don't know why this would happen just because the computer was moved, but that's my guess anyway.

You can replace the Mac OS ROM file (found in the System Folder) to see if that might be the problem. Simply replace it with a copy of the one in the System Folder on the 9.0.2 CD and restart.

However, you can not just replace the System file that way. If you're lucky enough to have a backup of the System file or can copy it from another computer running 9.0.2, do so. Otherwise, you'll probably have to reinstall the OS.

Hope this helps,

Art

Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2000, 10:58 PM

I agree - I'd say it is almost definately the System File.
Install another copy of OS 9.02 onto the same drive. Core install only. Update to 9.04.
Drag the new System file over to the old System Folder, which has now been renamed.
Delete the 'new' System Folder, and rebless the old one. Reboot.
Let us know how it goes...

Cipher13

Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2000, 09:34 AM

Thanks, everyone. I'll be back at the problem G4 on Tuesday and will report my success...or lack of it...based on the recommendations.

Frane
Nov 5, 2000, 09:49 AM

I had the same problem with my G4. First I tried to reinstall system, but that didn't help (I tried to keep my old data on my drive). So I had to initialize (format) the disk and then install OS9. Then it did work.

Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2000, 02:12 PM

Well, no luck. I can start up with either the software install or restore CDs, but that's it. Looks like I'll be reformatting the drive once I get my files off...which is another issue. I can't use my Jaz drive, because the startup CDs don't have the USB Jaz drivers booting up. I loaded a fresh system diles with the proper drivers on a Zip (which the computer reads), but the computer won't startup using the 9.02 system on the Zip. The computer ignores the Zip, even though I selected it as the startup disk, and restarted. So, I'm having a buddy with a CD burner make a CD with a full system file (including Jaz driver), and I'll boot with the CD, collect my files via Jaz, and reformat.

Question: Is there any way that I can force the computer to start with the internal Zip? Keystroke combinations?

Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2000, 05:16 PM

Not sure on that one... never used Zips...
But, would it be easier to just grab the drive and stuck it in another computer as a slave drive, back up your stuff, then format it?

Cipher13

Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2000, 06:39 PM

tonewheel,
I use OS8.6 and have an internal ZIP on a 6500. It may not work since selecting the Zip in your
Start Up Disk control panel doesn't work...but the key combination you asked for is
'shift/option/command/delete'. Restart your computer with the Zip Startup Disk inserted and hold
those keys during the restart.

Good luck, Matt

Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2000, 07:53 PM

I tried the keystroke to startup with the Zip. No luck. So I'm taking Cipher's advice and pulling the drive to put in my G at home tonight. (Now why didn't I think of that!?) Thanks again...will update tomorrow.

Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2000, 01:38 AM

Make sure you set it to slave!
And back again once you're done...
Good luck...

Cipher13

Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2000, 02:19 AM

Just finished backing everything up to my master drive (with problem drive jumpered to slave, thanks). Once initializing was complete, I copied everything back to the problem drive...and no more problems. Runs fine on the original system folder, and starts up when selected to do so.
Just one of those unexplainable drive errors.
Thanks to all for your welcome advice.

Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2000, 04:35 AM

You are most welcome

Cipher13

Forum Links
Forum Rules