Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Creators and Types?

Creators and Types?
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2000, 05:09 PM

Is there any painless way to find out what the creator and type that an application that doesn't save out any files would in theory create? I'm trying to create files that will automatically open up in the Mac Windows Media Player, but since you can't save out any files from it, I can't seem to find out what the type and creator codes are. Any ideas?

------------------
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2000, 05:38 PM

could you just set the creator code of the document to that of the application? i don't know if this would be enough to launch the application AND get it to play the file though.

-r.

Lunchbox
Nov 5, 2000, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by grovberg:
Is there any painless way to find out what the creator and type that an application that doesn't save out any files would in theory create? I'm trying to create files that will automatically open up in the Mac Windows Media Player, but since you can't save out any files from it, I can't seem to find out what the type and creator codes are. Any ideas?

To find out what type and creator codes an app owns, open the app in ResEdit, then open the BDNL resource. There you'll have a list of all the different document types an app owns.

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2000, 06:37 PM

Rock. That's just what I was looking for. Thanks.
-g

------------------
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

Forum Links
Forum Rules