Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How to uninstall

How to uninstall
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2000, 08:02 AM
Hi I'm a PC convert Mac user ,I really don't know much about the OS 9
Please help me to uninstall the software in my I mac 500 .
And also is there any frequent ask question web sites that I can vist ?

Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2000, 10:00 AM
Software uninstall procedures were discussed in detail in this thread.

You can find a fairly good FAQ page here.

Also, search these forums to seek solutions for many questions you may have. Welcome and congrats on your new mac!
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2000, 10:01 AM
Three points here:

1. If you really want to uninstall the software on your iMac (all of it?) and you have the OS
Install CD that came with that iMac, startup from the CD and you can Initialize the hard
drive from the Drive Setup found in the Utilities folder. This will remove everything and
you can start fresh with a complete installation from the CD.

If you only want to uninstall some 3rd party software - the most effective way is to use
Sherlock - enter in the name of the software as the criteria for the search and then
delete/trash all the items that come up. Still using Sherlock, bring up the Invisibles and
delete those too. Then go through your control panels, extensions, preferences to make
sure no items remain. Also look for any aliases of that software which may not have been
removed. If you have the CD's for the software you want to remove, there may be an
Uninstall feature as an option in the Install portion - however, these sometimes don't
remove everything.

2. This forum and MacFixit are two of your best sources of information and FAQ's - many good
people willing to help - don't be afraid to ask.

3. Two books will be of great value to you at this time:

Macworld MacSecrets 5th ed - by David Pogue and Joseph Schorr - available from IDG Books
and other book sellers. Most entertaining as well as giving you a good understanding of all
things Mac.

Mac OS 9 the Missing Manual - by David Pogue - can order direct from his website or
O'Reilly Publications.

Welcome and enjoy!

Forum Links
Forum Rules