Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Contextual Menus

Contextual Menus
Nov 10, 2000, 02:30 PM
I have recently bought a Mac 8600 computer with 48 MB of RAM. I had system 9.04 on it and due to a problem, I installed system 8.5 and am planning on installing system 8.6 soon.

I have not been able to get the Contextual Menus to work on this machine.

The correct extension is in the Extension Folder and the other components are in the Contextual Menu Folder within the System Folder, just like they're supposed to be.

I have made certain that the Extension Manager has this extension turned on.

Would someone be able to inform me why this feature on my machine does not work?
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2000, 04:22 PM
Do you have SubMenus checked in the Apple Menu Options control panel?

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2000, 04:48 PM
The only thing the SubMenus check box does it turn submenus on and off in the Apple Menu.

My suggestion on fixing the problem is to upgrade to install 8.6 and see if it helps first.
Nov 11, 2000, 07:39 AM
I've "solved" the problem I was having with Contextual Menus not working on my computer.

If I had watched what I was doing in the first place, I would never have written to ask for assistance.

The solution? Quite simple. Press the correct key when accessing Contextual Menus.

Instead of pressing the Control key, I was pressing the Option key THINKING I was doing the correct thing.

When I switched to the CORRECT key, the menus work just like they're supposed to.

Thanks to all who tried to help and I apologize for wasting your time.
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2000, 02:40 PM
There's a dandy little program that does contextual menu things you'd probably like.
Check it out at: http://www.finderpop.com/

Cheers, Matt
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2000, 12:47 AM
With FinderPop you don't have to press control to get to your contextual menus..........
Forum Links
Forum Rules