Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Oh crap, I'm in trouble now....

Oh crap, I'm in trouble now....
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2000, 10:14 AM

So here's my problem. I was preparing for a Apple Demo Day, and one of the things I wanted to show was Voice Verification. Since I have multiple users extensions off normally, I went in and enabled multiple users and voice verification. Restart. I go in and create a user that can't do much of anything. The little button that allows me to set up voice verify doesn't appear, so I figure I'll restart and try to log on with this limited user, just to make sure THAT is working. I restart...the finder loads and then I get a watch icon for about 30 minutes. I give up and reset the machine. I get a blink question mark disk. Now that's all I get. I booted from a CD, and it asks me if I want to format the drive because the Mac doesn't recognize the format. Acck! Any ideas? I back up all my really important stuff, but I'd REALLY prefer not to loose a few things on there. If anyone has any ideas how I can just get few files off of it and THEN reformat (that's probably what I'll do anyway), I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

------------------
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

Trout
Nov 13, 2000, 10:37 AM

Boot of another HD or CD and try to fix the disk. Try diskwarrior first, best there is, if that doesn't work try Techtool pro or Norton DD. If the disk is beyond repair you might try to rescue the data that's on it with Norton Volume recover.You may need a zip or something to run of your repair apps. Good luck.

Trout
Nov 13, 2000, 10:50 AM

Oh one more thing, if its just a screwed up directory, that caused your mac to be unable to find a valid system folder (flashing qmark) don't forget to update your harddisk drivers afterwards.

Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2000, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by Trout:
Oh one more thing, if its just a screwed up directory, that caused your mac to be unable to find a valid system folder (flashing qmark) don't forget to update your harddisk drivers afterwards.
do you still get paid for demo days if you toast the machines?

-r.

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2000, 12:51 PM

:-) I would assume so. I actually toasted my own machine at home preparing for the demo day, not a demo machine in the store. The demo day went well though, if anyone cares. :-)

------------------
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2000, 08:49 PM

Boot from a CD. Re bless the System Folder. Check that the HD is properly selected as the startup disk.
If that doesn't work, reinstall the System Folder.
I didn't read the whole thread (little busy at the moment...), but when skimming through you said it asks you to reformat the HD?
If so... damn...
Dunno in that case.
Can't think at the moment... I'll post back a little later if anything comes to mind.
FYI: Voice verification requires its own extension, I think its called "Voice Verification".
Thats why you couldn't select it.

Cipher13

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2000, 02:05 PM

Nope, I had the Voice Verification Extension on. That's actually another issue alltogether, as to why the button never showed up in the first place. I'm curious, but I'm too scared to try it on the machines at work after what happened. :-) Thanks for the advice though guys! I'm trying to scrounge together enough cash to purchase disk warrior now! I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

------------------
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2000, 01:08 AM

Had correct sound input settings?
If something goes wrong on a computer when you perform an action, reboot, and do it again.
Never be scared to do something twice, when the first time yielded unfavourable results.
Go for it.
It won't happen again.

Cipher13

emnity
Nov 15, 2000, 03:30 AM

It sounds as though you have either a corrupt System, Finder, or one of the Multiple Users extensions or control panels. Toss all of these items and boot from the "iMac Restore CD". Choose "Restore in Place". Be sure to move you current preferences folder to the desktop, and replace the "restored one" after words, this will save all of your registrations and other preferences.

After that, make sure you select "Alternate User Verification" (or something like that) in the Multiple Users control panel. I'm going from memory here, but if the installed software you have doesn't work, chances are that it is corrupted. Remember that there are millions of copies of OS 9 out there that do work, and the fact that your's doesn't is probably a fluke.

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2000, 09:48 AM

Errr..you guys seem to be forgetting that I *CAN'T* do any of things that you are suggesting. I can't move extensions, I can't try new sound input settings, I can't do anything because my HD won't mount! The directory structure is completely hosed. I appreciate the effort though. :-)

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Had correct sound input settings?
If something goes wrong on a computer when you perform an action, reboot, and do it again.
Never be scared to do something twice, when the first time yielded unfavourable results.
Go for it.
Umm...well no. See this is exactly what I did and now my HD is a large paperweight. I'm not scared to try anything on my own computer including popping it open and tweaking the actual parts. I AM a little leery of trying to recreate an error that completely hosed my HD on a computer that I don't own (i.e. one at work).

Buuuut...thanks for your recommendation Trout. I did manange to get most of the important files off my HD using Disk Warrior (boy golly did it toss out a long list of errors). That jank rocks! Now I can't even initialize that disk so I'm calling that one a wash. Luckily I have another 10GB lying around so I'm just gonna copy my files over to that one and start over. But I did manage to get back the files that I don't back up as often. Yay me!
-grover

------------------
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2000, 06:38 PM

Well done
Um... see if your drive is still covered by the manufacturers warranty, yell at them, and get them to replace it

Cipher13

Trout
Nov 16, 2000, 02:37 AM

Congrats, grov!
The fact that DW generated a rather big list of directory errors seems to point to a lack of preventive disk maintanance in the past. Without it, this will happen to every disk sooner or later and I highly doubt there's something wrong with your disk. I would advice you to replace your directory with an optimized one, every week or so to keep things healthy. Rebuilding the desktop once in a while doesn't hurt either.

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2000, 10:48 AM

Hmmm...I do rebuild my desktop every few weeks....what do you mean by replacing my directories? Running Disk Warrior once a week? Just curious. Thanks again for your help.

------------------
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

Trout
Nov 16, 2000, 03:33 PM

Yup, that's what I meant.
Let DW just do the work for you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules