Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iTools Screwed Up?

iTools Screwed Up?
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2000, 05:51 PM

Is anybody else having trouble getting their mac.com mail right now? For a while, Entourage couldn't contact the server, and now I am getting to the authentication part and Apple's mail server is not recognizing my password. What's up, is this just me?

Art D
Nov 15, 2000, 06:43 PM

No, I just tried and can't get my e-mail either. Must be their server.

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2000, 06:45 PM

As an update . . . Apple says they are doing some work on their servers. They originally said that things would be back up by 3:00 Pacific Time, and now say by 4:30 Pacific.

Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2000, 07:12 PM

yeah, having the same problem, though I was able to get in like once about an hour ago.

Where does Apple post this stuff when they say they're doing maintenance?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2000, 07:24 PM

Here, too. Eudora won't download mail, and neither will Outlook Express. This happened once before. I don't remember how long it took to fix. Problem is, ALL my incoming mail is routed through Mac.com. I hope they fix it quickly.

The sooner you fall
behind, the more time
you have to catch up.

Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2000, 07:36 PM

Guess I answered my own question.
http://www.info.apple.com/siteindex.taf

Click on the iTools Discussion Board link near the bottom of the page. Then you'll have to log in to enter the discussion board (registration is free, but not the same as your iTools login). Then poke around till you find the discussion of e-mail within the iTools discussions.

I'd post the link right to the thread, but I'm not sure if it'll work, what with the need to sign in and all.

Now that I found it again, I remember being here before. However I sure wish Apple would post notices on server up/down time somewhere more prominently and publicly (iTools front page maybe? or even <gasp> apple.com front page??).

Everyone with a mac.com e-mail address needs to go here...
http://itools.mac.com/WebObjects/Fee...iToolsComments

...and tell them to begin posting server status more prominently. It's a free service, and servers do go down occasionally, so I know we SHOULDN'T get upset about this, but the fact is people do. But much frustration could be avoided if they'd just be upfront about it, methinks.

Senior User
Nov 15, 2000, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by beverson:
Guess I answered my own question.
It's a free service, and servers do go down occasionally
actually, it's advertised as part of OS 9, your internet co-pilot, so it really isn't a free service.

this shutdown has actually screwed me up tonight, because i was supposed to set up the details of a presentation i was doing with a classmate tomorrow. i don't know the kid, and we were going to discuss everything over email, but alas, my email doesn't work. and, i don't have his phone number or anything, so we're left screwed...

but, i personally couldn't care less about failing my presentation, so i'm not going to get excited. but, email is veyr necessary in today's world--i rely upon it daily, so people who might care about class presentations do have a right to get upset over something they paid for with OS 9.....

Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2000, 11:25 PM

Every service out there upgrades their servers, but every service (including free services) also has backup servers in place for such events.

The fact that Apple just "turns off" mac.com email for hours, resulting in all emails sent to mac.com addresses being bounced (not even queued) is simply unacceptable. Not to mention the frequency with which this happens.

Thanks, I'll stick with Earthlink or Yahoo for my email (when I'm not using my MacNN account)... zero outages in 4 years beyond just the occassional minute down here, minute down there.

[This message has been edited by Misha (edited 11-15-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules