Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OpenGL extensions

OpenGL extensions
Tee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2000, 07:59 PM

I just installed the OpenGL 1.1.2 package from: http://www.apple.com/opengl/

on my Rev.1 Beige G3

It seems like basic system functions like menu scrolling have slowed down a bit.
Is this possible or is it just me?
I never know how to make sure I have the right extensions for my ATI chip...

The Wolfe
Nov 21, 2000, 07:04 PM

Well, the Rev A Beige G3's ATI chip does not support OpenGL, so it may actually be you machine slowing down a tad - but frankly I don't see why this would happen. The Rage Pro and up support OpenGL.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2000, 10:09 PM

Well, the Rev A Beige G3's ATI chip does not support OpenGL, so it may actually be you machine slowing down a tad - but frankly I don't see why this would happen. The Rage Pro and up support OpenGL.
Well I don't know about the beige G3s, however the post quoted above is incorrect since the Rev. A iMacs use the Rage IIc chip and they are able to run OpenGL enabled applications.

Tee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2000, 08:10 AM

I just used the OpenGL installer to uninstall it, since you said my system won't support it anyway...

Then I popped in my OS 8.6 CD and added the ATI software.

Everything seems to be 'back to normal' now!
Oddly, even though I only selected the ATI stuff, the installer log indicates that it 'updated' and installed a ton of other stuff...

Thanks for the info!

The Wolfe
Nov 22, 2000, 07:43 PM

They may be able to run OpenGL apps, but they won't be excellerated by the ATI RageIIc chips.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2000, 05:19 AM

I think you need to have the 4 meg add-on ram for OpenGL to work on those chips

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2000, 06:49 PM

I had the same problem. See my post in this forum titled "slow scrolling speed". Install the ATI Video SW Update 1.0 available from ATI's website. That should get you going.

posthumanus
Nov 27, 2000, 11:37 AM

The site Tee posted eight days ago has the download for OpenGL1.1.2 but I seem to have 1.1.3: I've no memory of whether it was pre-loaded or not, I'm just assuming it's legit and the latest version.

I'm right, aren't I?

[This message has been edited by posthumanus (edited 11-27-2000).]

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2000, 05:49 PM

I downloaded the Cro-Mag Rally demo from pangeasoft.net and it comes with OpenGL 1.2.1 which it requires to work with 8.6 as per Pangea website. I cannot get it to load, however. A dialog box says you must have OS 9 to use 1.2.1. I understand this is the only way to get 1.2.1 right now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules