Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > What would YOU like to see apple do?

What would YOU like to see apple do?
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2000, 04:03 PM

Apple is a fairly different models then most. Lots of R&D costs, but usually produce something new and innovative. Innovation is fairly rare in the market (Dell, gateway, etc just piece hardware together, and sell it, for the most part)
So anyway, back to the question at hand, "What would you love to see apple make for its consumers.?

My top 2:
1. Goggle monitors!
2. wearable computer

------------------
-See Yea!

Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2000, 02:41 AM

I'd really love a sub notebook, or even a PDA...
But, I like the goggle monitors idea
That would rock!!
As for what I'd like to see Apple do... take up the Power4 and make a high end server. Get back into that market. With OSX they can.
More PCI slots, and dual AGP 4X.
Not to mention, drop prices and abolish the Cube. It looks friggin' incredible, but thats about it.

Cipher13

Simon C. Leemann
Nov 26, 2000, 07:50 AM

OK, the sub notebook would be really nice. I was thinking of the portable counterpart to the Cube. That would fit in perfectly in Apple's product matrix.

I don't care about the PDA (let's say a Palm) having an Apple on it or not, but the connectivity issues with the Mac should probably be solved by Apple itself.

Keep the Cube; it just needs to be priced between the iMacs an the G4s and then it'll be a runner. It's so cool!

IMHO Apple needs to make real big fat mucho-macho G4s for >5000$ that have all that geek stuff, everybody seems to claim is missing: 4xG4@ >600MHz, 6 PCI, AGP4x, >133MHz boards, 4 drive bays, UWSCSI, 800MBps FireWire, GigaEthernet, etc... The case could be something like the Apple Network Servers (those running AIX) with independent power supply and cooling, hot-swappable bays, etc... Now, with that machine, there is THE server for OS X. And at last all those PCI nerds that dream of having 32 slots in their ugly under-the-desk-warmer can buy the thing, waste a lot of money and finally shut up.

Apple can leave the other machines just as they are, maybe lower some prices (the Cube's) and of course, keep upgrading the processors, the bus speeds, etc.

What they really should do, is concentrate on the software! If they make OS X do to the Mac OS what the iMac did to the Macintosh hardware lineup, then good times will be for sure. If OS X runs 100% stable and fast, has cool effects and smart enhancements, Win will eat our dust.

scl

P.S. Of course the wearable mac or the goggles would be cool, but what about a mac that can be totally voice controlled? Remember, before the Mac everybody thought computers need to be controlled with a keyboard and a command line - then Apple came and changed the world. Do it again!

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2000, 12:18 AM

ANY PROGRESS!!!

Apple has totally stalled! We've been at 500MHz for how long? About as long at they've been telling us about OSX. Not even counting what OS8 was supposed to be A.K.A. Copland.

Hey, A portable counterpart to the Cube? You mean "The Square"! ha ha
------------------
L008 Com
Founding Member of the 'translucent' Party!
Vote for me in 2004!
"I didn't invent the internet, I made it better! And I don't even look like my dad!"

[This message has been edited by l008com (edited 11-26-2000).]

The Wolfe
Nov 28, 2000, 05:49 PM

I am hoping for a new Professional G4 case design. The design I envision would have the same design highlights and elegant touches that the Cube has, but it would be slightly larger than the previous generation G4 towers, with a more boxy design (it should look like it relates to the Cube). I would love to see Apple put Quad processors into it's highest end models so the PC geeks could really eat crow once OS X ships! Dual processors on all machines would also be a very powerful addition.

My current UMAX clone is getting a little long in the tooth. When Apple releases a Pro machine that includes at least a handful of the features above, I'm going to very happily indulge!

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2000, 06:29 PM

Redo the marketing campaign. People who pay $1500 for an iMac are not necessarily complementing that purchase with DV. Instead, elaborate on iTools, the free Mac e-mail address and how it is possible to use a Mac in a PC-dominated world.

Make the iBook's screen bigger and support higher resolutions.

Build all future machines with no less than 128BM RAM.

Buy a new supply-chain management program. Whatever Apple is using obviously doesn't work very well. Go with Oracle or PeopleSoft, not Baan or SAP.

Apple PDA! Apple PDA!

oscar  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2000, 09:56 PM

the 128 min isnt gonna happen anytime soon.
They (meing apple, dell, gateway, etc) useally ship with low low ram, so you have to goto your local retailer and buy more ram. Thats how it is =)

------------------
-See Yea!

Joey
Nov 29, 2000, 12:35 PM

I'd like a 19" CRT or an 18" LCD.

Senior User
Nov 29, 2000, 02:43 PM

Here's some heresy, (aka thinking different!) and a trojan horse

what would I like to see apple do:

1) Give the would-be PC convert a security blanket -- Conquer the psychology that keeps the mac market penetration at such a low level.

Shipping all macs with a preinstalled, easy-to-access windows icon on the desktop and a basic windowsworks type suite, so that:

-- a would-be PC convert has a security blanket available. So they never have to worry about being compatible with the computer they use at work, or the windows world in general. And do it right, not half-assed.
(don't be greedy and make em pay 179-249 for Virtual PC or whatever)

Now, MS has a stake in apple and they could stand to make some licensing money off this. Apple would benefit in terms of increased market penetration for their hardware and software. The market penetration of macs is so small i believe they could double it quickly, but only if they make the mac acessible to the scared-away windows user.

Look at Linux for crying out loud. Look at the market share they have snatched up overnight in the web server market and ask, "why couldn't we do that?" "Why are mac users still only 3-4 percent market penetration?"

I believe there is a psychological barrier and it's name is fear, fear of irrelevance and incompatibility in the mind of joe average. It's a huge leap of faith for them to buy a mac when they use a PC at work.

Let me give you an example. I have two co-workers who use PC's but who are quite familiar with the office Mac, they both were prime candidates to buy Mac, but bought PC's because they need to interface smoothly with work and felt uneasy about switching to Mac OS.

I think the fear has to be addressed completely and vanquished so that no questions remain in the mind of the consumer.

2) of course, we'll need faster machines to make the Win OS run fast enough on a Mac. But maybe if we had Win OS included, then there would be more incentive for the chip makers to make faster processors for the MAc.

Love the mac OS,
want to see it flourish,
but it may be time for a Win-OS trojan horse

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 29, 2000, 05:11 PM

Simple:
Get us corporate Mac users some freakin' support so we can utilize the apps the PeeCee folks need and use. If it weren't for that hole (Microsoft Outlook being my glaring example) I would have no troubles running in the WinDoze world I work in...

Scott

Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2000, 03:49 PM

MacOS X has to totally kick a s s. It has to be infinitely better than all Microsoft's offerings, teach Linux a thing or several about UI, and be crash-free.

Since I'm in fantasy land...

To heck with Altivec. Give us sheer speed instead. Kick M out and replace them with IBM as chip source. Altivec seems over-rated to me since it's killing Apple in the speed wars, not everyone uses heavy graphics programs, and everyone does like the bigger numbers.

OTOH, make the Mac more game-graphics friendly. Listen to ID Software and 3dfx, and do what they tell you. This is amazingly important, because if you capture the gamers, they'll spread word.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2000, 06:37 PM

1. Integrate with Windows NT domain security
2. BTO options for better video cards
3. BTO option for CD RW & DVD (maybe a tower with two 5.24 front accessible bays)
4. Allow users the option of using the Mac OS 9 interface with OS X

Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2000, 12:51 AM

I like a lot of the hardware stuff that's already been suggested, and I agree that OS X must do for the sytem what the iMac did for the hardware a couple of years ago. But I also think that Apple has got to make its advertising spots more aggressive. The ads do give a great sense of the aesthetics of the Mac machinery, but they really don't do such a good job of demonstrating the Mac's speed or versatility. People who already use Macs know about that aspect of Macs, but there are folks out there who think that there's no software at all for Macs, that they'd be incapable of communicating with Windoze users, etc., etc. A little education about the education computer would be cool.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2000, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by yoyo52:
I like a lot of the hardware stuff that's already been suggested, and I agree that OS X must do for the sytem what the iMac did for the hardware a couple of years ago. But I also think that Apple has got to make its advertising spots more aggressive. The ads do give a great sense of the aesthetics of the Mac machinery, but they really don't do such a good job of demonstrating the Mac's speed or versatility. People who already use Macs know about that aspect of Macs, but there are folks out there who think that there's no software at all for Macs, that they'd be incapable of communicating with Windoze users, etc., etc. A little education about the education computer would be cool.

i agree, i would also love to see apple get out there and advertise. ask someone that has never used a mac what they know about it and they will most likely say "oh i like the colors of the imac" or "they're cute and all, but what can they do?" or even better "i heard there isnt any software for them" maybe , MAYBE, you'll hear someone say, "they are great for graphics, but that's all i know". apple needs to just plain get the word out. i love he commercials, and they spark the imagination and all, but they have to get the word out to people that dont know, that macs can do alot more than look pretty. geez, when i talk about my mac to a newbie or a pee cee user, i feel like i'm part of an underground conspiracy or something. ( which really doesnt bother me) but to a newbie, that would probably scare them away, and they woud just become another of the "sheep" that just settle for what everyone else has ...(gulp)...a pee cee YEEECH!

------------------
" I think,
therefore....IMAC
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2000, 06:17 PM

Color PDA that is all I have to say!!!

Phaedrus
Dec 3, 2000, 02:10 AM

This isn't going to be popular, but I'll say it anyways..

I would like to see Apple computer morph into Apple Software. Discontinue all hardware production and sales effective immediately.

Port OSX to intel. Make sure OS classic can run on it and all.

Result:
Mac users get to use OSX on high-performance hardware that has value. Mac users will be able to use all windows software, just make a windows start-up disk. Of course, any windows user will be able to use OSX.

If this were to happen, I predict that within 10 years, Steve Jobs will be taken to court for running a computer OS monopoly that started with OS X.

Imagine, being able to plunk down a cool $1500 to run OSX at GHz speeds! Imagine that this $1500 computer has CDRW, 128MB RAM, and a video card with >16MB vRAM! Imagine the possibilities!

[This message has been edited by Phaedrus (edited 12-03-2000).]

Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2000, 02:49 AM

I'd like to see Apple:
  • price the Cube between the iMac and PowerMac G4 Towers
  • lower the price of its monitors
  • change the tower casing/motherboard such that:
  • - 3 800Mbps FireWire ports (1 internal)
  • - 4 USB 2.0 ports
  • - support for up to 4 full height (5.25") ATAPI/SCSI CD/DVD/Removable drives
  • - 6 PCI slots
  • - 133MHz/200MHz FSB
  • - DDR SDRAM
  • - AGP4X; throw in a Radeon 64MB DDR or GeForce2MX (if it works)
  • - Quad-processor support
  • Improved Q&A testing
  • Better support
  • Deliver as promised and on time

[This message has been edited by ginoledesma (edited 12-03-2000).]

oscar  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2000, 04:40 AM

Originally posted by Phaedrus:
This isn't going to be popular, but I'll say it anyways..

I would like to see Apple computer morph into Apple Software. Discontinue all hardware production and sales effective immediately.

Port OSX to intel. Make sure OS classic can run on it and all.
Will never happen for 1 good, solid reason. Apple is a hardware company. They make like 70% of there money off of hardware (disclaimer: 70% is a guess, I'm too lay to check there last SEC filing) The only way this will happen if they stop making money on hardware (which could, happen)

------------------
-See Yea!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2000, 01:21 PM

I too would like to see Apple not only port OSX to Intel, but start using the Intel processors in their own machines. Ya, I know... but plz spare me a death by fire.

Think about it. This way they could retain their hardware market share (and seriously improve their chances of growing it) while really opening up the platform software availability (would probably be much easier to port Windows s/w) and not only that, but it would allow Apple to get back into the clock speed wars again (or make them moot )

Call me crazy (or any other name in the book) but I think using Intel chips in Macs just might be a really great idea.

-Al

Senior User
Dec 3, 2000, 05:10 PM

What would I like to see apple do? Nothing much... just WIPE the floor with Windozzz once and for all, and banish it forever to those minority short-sighted few who refuse to see the light. Other then that, not much...

------------------
Rocke "Why yes, I have brought our
network down." Woelk

Only the educated are free!-Epictetus

Phaedrus
Dec 3, 2000, 06:25 PM

Oscar on intel port:

"Will never happen for 1 good, solid reason. Apple is a hardware company. They make like 70% of there money off of hardware (disclaimer: 70% is a guess, I'm too lay to check there last SEC filing) The only way this will happen if they stop making money on hardware (which could, happen)"

Of course it will never happen, because Apple is too entrenched in their own corporate culture to change. I'm talking about idealism, not reality. Reality is that Apple will never gain much market share as long as they build the while "widget", because this strategy entails too much R&D overhead. Macs will always cost more than wintels, and for most people, cost is the primary determinant in buying a computer.

If Apple were merely an OS, then consumers would see it as an option. A non-Mac user simply doesn't see any reason to switch to Macs. Why would they? If their wintel is working for them, then why go spend twice as much on a lower-performance system, and deal with learning a new OS on top of all that? Now, if all we're talking about is switching to a new OS...Apple would have an easy time talking customers into that.

But, as you said, this will never happen. The only scenario where I see this happening is if Apple were to go under, and some company bought them out just for OSX. Unlikely, but the longer Jobs stays at the helm, the greater the possibility. Just a few more "cube-like" products and Apple is finished.

t0ken
Dec 4, 2000, 01:18 AM

my wishlist...
  • apple pda running a mac os equvalent (sp?) of windoze ce.
  • the ability to go the the webstore and build your own mac entirely (ie, choose your case, hd, ram, processor speed, modem, etc. [i know you can pretty much do this already with g4s, but yeah...])
  • macs that i (ie, secondary school students) can afford

0utr0x, t0ken

Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2000, 02:22 PM

As someone who works in advertising / design, I would be incredibly surprised if Apple had not already spent tons and tons of money on finding out the general public's thoughts about Apple and their offerings. Again, speaking from experience, even if the data revealed that the public only knew about "colors" or "design" and there was a clear target to hit, the client wouldn't necessarily agree to it.

Enter Steve Jobs.

I can easily see him looking over test market survey results, and saying "Yeah...so what. I don't like it. We're going to do THIS."

As for a wish list, I for one am DYING for an Apple 19 or 21" CRT display. Screw the 17" and no way in hell do I have enough money for a studio display. Boy...talk about a gaping hole in monitors. What were they thinking?
---------------------------------------
Dominey Design
http://www.domineydesign.com/

Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2000, 03:24 AM

Originally posted by tdominey:
As someone who works in advertising / design, I would be incredibly surprised if Apple had not already spent tons and tons of money on finding out the general public's thoughts about Apple and their offerings. Again, speaking from experience, even if the data revealed that the public only knew about "colors" or "design" and there was a clear target to hit, the client wouldn't necessarily agree to it.

Enter Steve Jobs.

I can easily see him looking over test market survey results, and saying "Yeah...so what. I don't like it. We're going to do THIS."

As for a wish list, I for one am DYING for an Apple 19 or 21" CRT display. Screw the 17" and no way in hell do I have enough money for a studio display. Boy...talk about a gaping hole in monitors. What were they thinking?
That Steve Jobs quote is absolutely spot on.
And as for monitors? Damn right!!
Why the HELL did they ditch the 21" CRT??
Their monitor line up at the moment is DUMB.
Friggin' Apple
Think they'll release OSXPB as a real surprise in Jan?

Cipher13

Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2000, 06:09 AM

Back to the original topic... I know exactly what I want.
Sitting here using this Pro Keyboard (its not mine), I absolutely love it. But I'm ont going to get one.
I WANT MY FREAKING POWER BUTTON BACK DAMMIT!

Cipher13

Forum Links
Forum Rules