Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Where can I get "MathLib" & other shared libraries?

Where can I get "MathLib" & other shared libraries?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2000, 10:40 PM

Hi, I'm trying to find "MathLib" & other shared libraries.

Thank you, cc

Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2000, 11:45 PM

The full name is vMathLib, and it along with other shared libraries comes with the OS installation CD or the update if you have the original OS 9 CD and updated the system. You don't have to do a complete reinstallation of the system to get those extensions. Instead, you can rummage through the OS CD with Tomeviewer, which you can get at versiontracker. It might take some time to find the right file, but eventually you'll hit on it.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2000, 08:23 AM

Hi coupchoos,

Forgive me if I'm way off-base here, but if you're referring to the PPC "stub" (or "interface") libraries that are normally used by developers, they can be found in Apple's Universal Interfaces 3.3.x SDK distribution. [Also, I don't think that yoyo52 in the above post is quite correct about 'vMathLib'; it does not seem to be the same stub as 'MathLib', but rather a stub for the new G4 Altivec Math routines.]

As you may know, typically, these stub libraries contain only a small API "glue" for various system routines, and the actual code resides in the ROM or as a PPC "code fragment" in the data fork of the System file or Enabler file, or in a (non-stub) shared library or an extension (which may not have the same name as the code frag it contains, partly because a file can contain many code frags). [BTW, this is one reason why programs can give somewhat misleading errors about "<SomeLib> could not be found", as there may be no file with the same name as the reported code-frag name.]

For instance, under Mac OS 9.0.4, it looks like the actual code for 'MathLib' might be stored as a code frag in the System File's data fork, and is "mapped" by the 'cfrg' resource with ID = 52 (member #3) in its resource fork. It's interesting, because I'd thought that only 'cfrg's with ID = 0 are searchable by the Code Fragment Manager (CFM), but I guess the System file is special. ;-)

Anyway, sorry for rambling on like this... Hope at least some of it was relevant to your question.

Regards,

--Paul

Forum Links
Forum Rules