Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > New feature suggestion (more popup windows)

New feature suggestion (more popup windows)
mingc
Oct 14, 1999, 06:48 PM

Since Apple released MacOS 8 something I loved the popup window feature. It's just so useful and convenient. I'm wondering would it be very hard for Apple to inplement popup window support in all programs (maybe with only a small change in code for third-party programs)?
For example, it would be great if all my documents in Microsoft Word could be popup windows, then I can just click once on a document and edit it in the popup window.

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 1999, 04:57 AM

I belive that MacOS8.5 revamped the Contextual menu manager, allowing it to use popups in programs, but 3rd party's must incoroprate it first, also try this... www.finderpop.com

mingc
Nov 4, 1999, 05:52 PM

I think you misunderstood me. I meant not popup menus but the folder windows that are docked on the bottom of the screen in the finder. I would love to dock document windows on the bottom of the screen.

Forum Regular
Nov 5, 1999, 12:49 PM

I have a big assortment of 3rd party software and they all have the capabilities of providing POPUP windows at the bottom of the desktop/Finder....I don't know what you are looking for, because it exist on my old 6116/60/40mb/OS8.6......

------------------
George
bigbiker

mingc
Nov 5, 1999, 05:40 PM

do you know if it's a new feature in 8.6? I have 8.5 and it doesn't seem to support it on my programs. maybe my programs just don't support it.

scott
Nov 6, 1999, 01:40 AM

I believe both oscar and George Orville are speaking about different features than mingc. He is referring to the Finder folder windows that can be docked at the bottom of the screen by dragging them to the very edge of the monitor. I think they were also called "Drawers" in the Copland days. These are different than Contextual menus, and I'm not quite sure what feature George Orville is referring to.

As far as I know, there is only one other program that uses this very cool features: Adobe GoLive. GoLive allows documents windows to be docked along the bottom of the screen, along with palette on the right side of the screen.

- Scott

------------------
Scott Stevenson
Contributing Editor,
MacNN

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 1999, 02:35 AM

Now tabs (now supported by poweron software http://www.poweronsw.com) provides something like what your talking about, give it a try.

------------------
-See Yea!

[This message has been edited by oscar (edited 11-06-1999).]

WickedDyno
Nov 15, 1999, 04:30 PM

How about pop-"up" windows that dock to the side of the screen instead of the bottom? Or multiple levels of "stacked" popups?

------------------
Gravity is the enemy.

pieman
Nov 16, 1999, 07:41 AM

Try sigsoftware's Drop Drawers which you can find at www.sigsoftware.com

This provides aliases really, not actual windows and whilst I haven't had any use for it other people have been raving about it (I did sales for them in the summer).

mingc
Dec 8, 1999, 04:13 PM

I went to the Poweron website, but it doesn't have any mention of Now tabs anywhere. Do you know where I can get it to try it?

Professional Poster
Dec 8, 1999, 06:44 PM

You can't purchase Now Tabs seperately... you have to buy the entire suite of Now Utilities that, given their age and price, really isn't worth it. Before the software stopped being developed Now Utilities was notorious for being a cool, but very crash-prone, utility.

Mac Elite
Dec 11, 1999, 12:21 AM

What you need is a third party Control Panel called GoMac. It allows you to dock open applications/documents in a task bar at the bottom of the screen, like Windows 95/98 does. You can find it here, with a search for GoMac (with no space)

http://www.tucows.com/

[This message has been edited by Gregg (edited 12-11-1999).]
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Forum Links
Forum Rules