Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 200MB for the Mac OS? WTF!?

200MB for the Mac OS? WTF!?
Senior User
Oct 29, 2001, 11:29 AM

I've been having weird "out of memory" errors lately, and opened my "About this Computer" panel to see that the Mac OS was using near 200MB! I've got 640MB of built-in-memory, Virtual Memory turned off. The only things I am running are IE and DragThing.

What's up with this? (Oh yeah, I'm on 9.2.1).

Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2001, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by oranjdisc:
<STRONG>I've been having weird "out of memory" errors lately, and opened my "About this Computer" panel to see that the Mac OS was using near 200MB! I've got 640MB of built-in-memory, Virtual Memory turned off. The only things I am running are IE and DragThing.

What's up with this? (Oh yeah, I'm on 9.2.1).</STRONG>
The Mac OS ALWAYS uses inordinate amounts of RAM when Virtual Memory is off... it expands to fill more memory when available. Turn virtual memory on if it bothers you, or use RAM Doubler 9, with it's memory paging only feature.

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2001, 01:21 PM

whoa... 200megs sounds like a whole lot! on my pismo/400/320/9.1 the system usually eats up between 80 and 100 megs, with a couple of things open (also including DragThing).... and vm is turned off all the time.

does this also happen after a fresh reboot? did you check your extension config?
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2001, 01:35 PM

Id say go thhrough the extensions manager and uncheck everything that you don't absolutely need.

With my 9.2 and 640, with VM off it only uses 70-80, I think if you trim down the extensions set it may help.

Senior User
Oct 29, 2001, 02:44 PM

Something was definitely up. None of my apps would stay launched for too long, and the Finder kept crashing. I gave up, clean installed the OS. Now we're back down to 60MB for the OS.

I think there was something more going on beneath the surface that needed fixing...that was weird.

Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2001, 05:23 PM

Mem leak. Turn on VM to phys+1 and it'll be even better.

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: Cipher13 ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules