Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Uh-oh...filcker,flicker, compress...

Uh-oh...filcker,flicker, compress...
ianm
Nov 25, 1999, 08:36 PM

My screen on my iMac DV SE went: flicker, shake, shake, JERK COMPRESS!

And is compressed into a screen 1/2 the width of my monitor and full height, and its centered, it will ge between this and normal rez a few times per hour.

WTF is this???
Bad hardware or software?
thanks,ian

Professional Poster
Nov 26, 1999, 11:15 AM

i'd say it's hardware... time to visit the Service Center...

ianm
Nov 27, 1999, 12:38 AM

Doh...
I got this one directly from Apple, so I guess either its back to them or possibly CompUSA...might as well go ahead and upgrade to 512mb while I'm at it. :|

What can I say, even though this is a big problem (really puts the kinks in rendering..), I've had a lot less (only one) problems with this computer than my HP (had to replace all boards) in the same amount of time from date of purchase...

Thanks,
ian

Admin Emeritus
Nov 27, 1999, 10:18 PM

Actually, the process is this: call Apple at the tech support number they give you on the Support sheet. Do whatever they say, and then, when they determine it's a hardware problem, they'll give you a case number, and phone numbers for local Apple dealers, any of which can repair it for you under warranty. If none inconveniently located, get them to do an on-site repair. They will do that if you are pushy.

DO NOT take it to CompUSA. They typically don't have Mac technicians on-site, so they'll end up sending it elsewhere to be fixed. It should work, but will take MUCH too long...

You definitely should not have to send it back to Apple.

tooki

ianm
Nov 28, 1999, 12:22 AM

Thanks tooki, this is my first mac (of many hopefully), and I have no idea how to go about such things, and so appreciate all info.

I'll call Apple then, and see what they say.

thanks,
ian

Admin Emeritus
Nov 30, 1999, 06:26 PM

Actually, I just began working for an Apple Authorized Dealer, and so I'll be getting familiar with the *exact* repair processes fairly soon. But anyway, what I described is what *I* did to get my Blue and White fixed, and is the basic method.

good luck, and post here again if you have trouble getting promp servicing

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules