Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Scheduled wake up on iMac DV SE

Scheduled wake up on iMac DV SE
jjacobso
Dec 7, 1999, 04:07 PM

I have tried in vain to get my iMac DVSE w/OS 9 to recognize a scheduled wake up. I have reset everything, rebuilt the desktop, trashed preferences etc etc. I never have this problem on my older rev b iMac w 8.6 it works like a charm. Any suggestions would be helpful.

MacBigot
Dec 8, 1999, 01:19 AM

I've been having similar problems with my 8.6 iMac DV -- I can't get it to boot up at a predetermined time. When I first bought it the feature worked, but stopped soon thereafter. Zapping the PRAM and even resetting the power manager's processor didn't help.

I'm stumped.

jjacobso
Dec 8, 1999, 05:06 PM

As I said previously, the feature works perfect in an older iMac - I even asked an Apple Rep. that was at the local CompUSA store this past weekend if he knew of any problems re: this feature - he even tried it on a demo machine and couldn't get it to work!! His answer was typical Apple - "I don't have a clue, seems to be a hardware/OS conflict". DUH!
I am very dissapointed with this machine - they were not ready for prime time sales- Apple obviously released them and OS 9 too early - again typical Apple. If I hadn't made so much money on my Apple stock investments this year I would change my loyalty and go back to a wintel platform.

Professional Poster
Dec 8, 1999, 06:07 PM

Have had zero problems getting my DV SE to do a hard startup (from OFF not Sleep) from energy saver control panel. This may sound ridiculous (since you've obviously had it work on older iMacs) - but there is a little checkbox that you have to click to switch between "wake up" and "power up". Apparently you can only do one or the other.

Mac Elite
Dec 8, 1999, 08:40 PM

Boy, aren't we a fickle Mac user... If ONE feature doesn't work we all abandon ship! You'd just be trading in your iMac tha doesn't do ONE thing you ask for a Wintel machine that doesn't do lot's of things you ask. Stick with your decisions man! Apple woulda died a long time ago if people ran away cause something didn't work... Just stick it out.

-=<MacGuru>=-
"The young people of America need be taught that the only pride they may properly hold is in the content of their character, and the achievements they make. There is no legitimate pride or moral credit to be gained by virtue of sharing the same race with a great and admirable individual. "

My Website

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 1999, 12:47 AM

Please tell me what Wintel combination allows you to bootup at a specific time and shutdown at a specific time.

drewman
P.S. without any external hardware add-ons, or 3rd party drivers...

highmaintenance
Dec 12, 1999, 06:25 AM

most newer (non oem) motherboards on 'wintel' systems support this in their bios. i believe windows 98 (second edition) supports this to some extent as well. although, if the bios does it, software support is irrelevant. it's a bit more primitive than apple's offering, but not by much.

users of earlier versions of windows could use third party software to do this.. much of it is free or shareware. no external hardware or third party drivers are necessary. i believe x86 (and ppc!) linux distributions have a similar feature.

meow

Forum Links
Forum Rules