Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iTunes 2.0

iTunes 2.0
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2001, 08:43 PM

...rocks!
sounds better than 1.0, fuller. "flat" eq is already an improvement.
the eq is excellent (altho i haven't explored it much).
the crossfade & enhancement options are great, make a big difference.

all in all, a great upgrade of a great program.

(& mine, with mix&match interface elements from resexcellence.com skins, looks great too)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2001, 09:06 PM

Using a beta release now and I have to say it's about a 2 fold improvement over 1.1. Good job Apple.

Mac Guru
"The young people of America need be taught that the only pride they may properly hold is in the content of their character, and the achievements they make. There is no legitimate pride or moral credit to be gained by virtue of sharing the same race with a great and admirable individual. "

My Website

Occasionally Useful
Oct 30, 2001, 09:10 PM

hey cool! it's got a cross-fade thing and an equaliser!!!

uhh... just like Mint Audio has for ages...
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2001, 09:40 PM

I have some questions that I haven't found answers for on Apple's website. Can anyone answer ALL the
questions below:

1. I understand that equalization settings can be saved for each song individually. Does that include the
gain/volume setting?

2. When burning a CD from a playlist where each song has an individual gain/volume, will the burned CD
reflect the various gain settings for each song... (like Adaptec Jam 2.6.2)?

3. Are the settings good for Mp3 as well as AIFF when used to burn CDs.

4. I have heard that Apple's Mp3 conversion is of a much lesser quality than say Roxio Toast. Is this true
with iTunes 2?

5. Can iTunes burn data as well and if so, which formats? I am specifically interested in multi-session mac
volumes, single session ISO9660/Mac hybrid disks, and audio.

If the gain can be controlled individually for each song burned onto a CD in AIFF format, along with cross
fade, and equalization... , who will need Toast and Jam?

Awaiting your answers with much anticipation... thanks.
Regards,
Michael De Luca

Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2001, 09:43 PM

Oohhhh kinda like how Mint Audio DOESN'T have CD Burning, doesn't sync with many MP3 players... etc. Mint Audio is nice but iTunes is better IMHO.

1. I understand that equalization settings can be saved for each song individually. Does that include the
gain/volume setting?

2. When burning a CD from a playlist where each song has an individual gain/volume, will the burned CD
reflect the various gain settings for each song... (like Adaptec Jam 2.6.2)?

4. I have heard that Apple's Mp3 conversion is of a much lesser quality than say Roxio Toast. Is this true
with iTunes 2?

5. Can iTunes burn data as well and if so, which formats? I am specifically interested in multi-session mac
To answer your questions...

1. I am not sure... I have yet to try this out. I believe it IS possible but not sure.

2. Once again, I am not sure... it is basic. My suggestion is for high quality burns, use Roxio.

3. I would suggest AIFF for burning. MP3's lose their fidelity even at the highest encoding... AIFF files are uncompressed so they naturally sound better.

4. 160 encoding is 160 encoding to me... I have not noticed any difference in encoding quality.

5. I have never seen this feature enabled... I have not been able to burn data with iTunes.

Mac Guru

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: Mac Guru ]
"The young people of America need be taught that the only pride they may properly hold is in the content of their character, and the achievements they make. There is no legitimate pride or moral credit to be gained by virtue of sharing the same race with a great and admirable individual. "

My Website

Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2001, 09:52 PM

Using a beta release now and I have to say it's about a 2 fold improvement over 1.1. Good job Apple.

Mac Guru

My Website

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2001, 10:43 PM

I'm using v 2.0f12

Crossfade works great! Equalizer makes the songs sound a little better. ...I really wish I had an iPod right now.

I will say Now that iTunes has all of these features it's becoming a little complex to use.

Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2001, 11:42 PM

if you use itunes 2 "out-of-the box", it's the same as using 1.0.
except the crossfade & enhancement options are on by default, and make the program sound noticeably better.
the eq option is just that: an option.
but play around with it!

also,

1. I understand that equalization settings can be saved for each song individually. Does that include the gain/volume setting?
YES

2. When burning a CD from a playlist where each song has an individual gain/volume, will the burned CD reflect the various gain settings for each song... (like Adaptec Jam 2.6.2)?
don't know, just got the app today

don't know, just got the app today

4. I have heard that Apple's Mp3 conversion is of a much lesser quality than say Roxio Toast. Is this true with iTunes 2?
no reason why it should be..

time for toast.

bon apetit!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2001, 12:31 AM

gain/volume setting?

Yes. Each song can have individual gain, volume, and EQ settings, just like in Soundjam.

with iTunes 2?

No. The bitrate can be adjusted in iTunes, just like it can be in Toast, and it is the bitrate that determines the quality of an MP3.

iTunes really isn't any good for burning, you are much better off with Toast Titanium (which is excellent for creating multi-session volumes and hybrid discs). Apple's burning software doesn't allow you to create multi-session discs, so it's basically useless for backing up data incrementally. For burning music I suppose it's ok, but Toast is easier to use and faster.

I think the deal is that Apple wants their stock CDRW drives to be "functional", but they don't want to put Roxio out of the Mac business, so they make sure that the standard burning software that comes with Macs sucks ass...keeping a good incentive to spend money on Toast. I guess this is better than how Microsoft just buys up competition and monopolizes everything.

Anyways, it's good to finally see Apple implement all of Soundjam's features. G-Force is available for iTunes, so now that iTunes has an EQ, there's nothing to stop me from using it full time. I think iTunes is now the best available music player for Mac OS; an excellent app for a very specific purpose. I like how it doesn't try to do "everything".

[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2001, 05:33 AM

Thanks everyone for responding to my post.
If you get any additional info as you use and discover the program, please let me know.

Okay... toast for data.

The main question I have remaining is: will itunes2 burn AIFF files to CD with the gain setting specified. The reason this is important to me is that many songs are recorded at various volume/gain levels. If they aren't adjusted at burn time, some songs are too loud or too soft in comparison to other songs.... very distracting.

Again, thanks for taking the time to answer.

To be clear, I was referring to Jam... not SoundJam.
Regards,
Michael De Luca

Senior User
Oct 31, 2001, 08:46 AM

iTunes = all the features of SoundJam? I don't think so. Still lacking sound-in recording (one of the more unique/high-end features of SJ), MP3 stream broadcasting integration, and alarm clock/sleep timing.

Don't get me wrong, it's great to see some of the more common features of the average MP3 player come to iTunes, but i think anybody following Apple's products over the past several months/years is aware that Apple buys out the best audio/video/DVD maker on the market and then either (a) splits the product into pro and consumer versions or (b) releases a top-notch GUI'd, sub-featured product only to release a more comparable product to the one that it is intended to replace 6-12 months later.

My question: Do cross-fades carry over to standard burned audio CDs? Nobody that's used it seems able to give a yea or nea on that one (though i suspect the answer is "no")

Speed

Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2001, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by SpeedRacer:
<STRONG>iTunes = all the features of SoundJam? I don't think so. Still lacking sound-in recording (one of the more unique/high-end features of SJ), MP3 stream broadcasting integration, and alarm clock/sleep timing.

Don't get me wrong, it's great to see some of the more common features of the average MP3 player come to iTunes, but i think anybody following Apple's products over the past several months/years is aware that Apple buys out the best audio/video/DVD maker on the market and then either (a) splits the product into pro and consumer versions or (b) releases a top-notch GUI'd, sub-featured product only to release a more comparable product to the one that it is intended to replace 6-12 months later.

My question: Do cross-fades carry over to standard burned audio CDs? Nobody that's used it seems able to give a yea or nea on that one (though i suspect the answer is "no")

Speed</STRONG>
I'd tell you if OSX would recognise my burner as more than just a damn CD drive

jog
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2001, 09:11 AM

can I finally listen to live albums in iTunes 2?

Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2001, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by OverclockedHomoSapien:
<STRONG>i]4. I have heard that Apple's Mp3 conversion is of a much lesser quality than say Roxio Toast. Is this true
with iTunes 2?[/i]

No. The bitrate can be adjusted in iTunes, just like it can be in Toast, and it is the bitrate that determines the quality of an MP3.
</STRONG>
No, different programs use different encoding algorithms so a 160kbs file produced by one will NOT be the same as a 160kbs file produced by another. I am not sure which program has the best...

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2001, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by jog:
<STRONG>can I finally listen to live albums in iTunes 2?</STRONG>
could you please explain that?
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2001, 09:47 AM

<STRONG>can I finally listen to live albums in iTunes 2?</STRONG>
WTF do you mean?

Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2001, 01:50 PM

day 2 observation:
the default setting on the "sound enhancer" needs to be backed off from center a little.
for me (playing my pismo thru a stereo system), sound was overloaded. aargh!

otherwise, loving it.

jog
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2001, 01:55 PM

iTunes has a short silence between two tracks which SoundJam didn't have - this is really annoying when listening to live albums...

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2001, 02:50 PM

<STRONG>iTunes has a short silence between two tracks which SoundJam didn't have - this is really annoying when listening to live albums...</STRONG>
Here's some information you should take on board. Stick with SoundJam. iTunes is not nearly as robust when it comes to burning. It does the same thing with DJ mixed CDs which, needless to say, interrupts the flow somewhat.

Forum Links
Forum Rules