Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Connecting 2 Macs

Connecting 2 Macs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 1999, 09:24 AM

I am using a crossover cable to connect a UmaxS900 and a G4/400 via the ethernet hubs. I have enabled file sharing and shared both HDs. Yet I cannot see either drive on the other's desktop.

I want to copy the HD of the Umax to the G4. What am I doing wrong?

TIA,
Kage

Dec 27, 1999, 10:35 AM

of coz, it will not work.
You should not use a crossover cable with a hub. A crossover cable is used to connect to computers without having hub. you can either use a crossover cable to directly connect two macs, or use two normal Cat-5 Twisted Pair with a hub.
Powerbook G4 15" Alu 1.33GHz 768MB, combo Drive

Kage  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 1999, 11:00 AM

I am not using a hub. I meant to say I was using the ethernet PORTS. I have the cat 5 crossover cable directly hooking up the two macs thru ther ethernet ports. I have given both macs a unique IP number adn enabled filesharing. I cannot ping one of them so I am at a loss.

I have never done this before but I am in an NT only shop so I have no other support.

Thanks for helping.

[This message has been edited by Kage (edited 12-27-1999).]

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 1999, 11:42 AM

Kage, So far what you have done sounds like what you must do although I've never tried it that way. The way I do it is to take a cheap 10baseT hub, and run a 10baseT wire from each computer to the hub. Then enable sharing. Check the Appletalk control panel and make sure it is set to Ethernet. I recall there was something you had to do to get the Macs to recognise that they are on a hub (even though they aren't). You might try booting both, then rebooting one, then the other.

There is a tool called the Apple System Profiler that might help too. It might be under your Apple menu, else search for it on your hard disk. The MacOS installs it with the normal install. Run that program, make sure the System Profile tab is in front, then turn the triangle for Network Overview so it is pointing down. Next turn down the triangles for AppleTalk and TCP/IP. There is lots of good diagnostic info there. (the above info is from the MacOS9 version of the profiler).
Tadd

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 1999, 11:44 AM

ok, Appletalk needs to be ON on both machines, Filesharing needs to be ON for the machine that you want to copy data from (or both if you plan to exchange data). Then set the sharing options for any drives you want to share with the other machine.
Appletalk will also need to be set to Ethernet on both machines.
Assuming all the usual extensions (installed by default) for Appletalk and file sharing are there, the shared drives should show up quite happily on the other machine.
Aaron

Forum Regular
Dec 27, 1999, 09:41 PM

The Mac Os Help menu will guide you through the steps necessary to network computers. Try it.

------------------
You do not really understand something unless you can explain
it to your grandmother."
- Albert Einstein
it to your grandmother."
- Albert Einstein

Kage  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 1999, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.

I used the Mac help files. They used the crossover cable conecting two macs suggestion (even had a diagram) as well as the hub. I had Appletalk running on both and ethernet was also on (according to the System Profiler). I gave each one a unique IP address via TCP/IP control panel.

I made sure to turn file sharing on giving read/write permissions to both drives in their entirety. I rebooted both machines in alternative order 3 or 4 times each.

I tried to ping the Umax from the G4 and it would not work. The only anomaly AFAIK, is the fact the Umax would not see our Mac server (via the chooser) when connected to the network. It could access the internet fine, just not see the company Mac server. Does this provide any clues?

I apologize for my ignorance. I'm about ready to succomb to transfer the whole thing via zip disks.

Thanks again for the help.

Forum Regular
Dec 28, 1999, 11:00 AM

does the server show the umax as a network user?
it to your grandmother."
- Albert Einstein

Forum Regular
Dec 28, 1999, 11:09 AM

I didn't explain properly in my previous post. I should have said.....when you go to users and groups control panel on the server, does it show the umax as a network user?
it to your grandmother."
- Albert Einstein

Dec 28, 1999, 12:19 PM

Check to make sure that you are really using a crossover cable. I purchased what I thought was a crossover cable and was surprised to find out that it was not one. I guess I got what I paid for, it was only $1.80.

Kage  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 1999, 01:53 PM

Didn't go to the server and see if the Umax shows up as a user.

Made sure I got a crossover cable. Checked the label, paid $15, doublechecked with two store attendants.

I'll have the admin look at the server and see if it can see the Umax.

No matter what happens, I'll end the thread here. I have too much to do to troubleshoot this thing further.

Thanks again for the great help.

Kage

Forum Links
Forum Rules