Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Sort order in Finder

Sort order in Finder
Tim Weston
Jan 15, 2000, 01:33 PM

I am sure that this must have been asked before but how do you change the sort order for finder windows.

My default order on "sort by name" seems to have changed to reverse alphabetical. I am not sure how ths has happened (perhaps an erroneous keystroke by me???). Anyway I want to get normal alphabetical order - is it possible?

Not exactly a life or death situation :-) but any help appreciated!

Tim

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2000, 01:51 PM

Select view by list first.
Select sorot list by: kind, name, etc.
All under the View Menu.

Scott

For more sorting goodness, see this: http://www.ironsoftware.com/Neatnik.html

Scott

Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2000, 02:18 PM

You can switch between alphabetical and reverse alphabetical order by clicking a small triangle that appears next to the name, date, etc. columns.

Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2000, 04:29 PM

all this time I never even seen that triangle until you mentioned it patrick..wow! neat trick...good eye. now I wonder why I would want something in reverse order?

[This message has been edited by disectamac (edited 01-15-2000).]

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2000, 01:34 PM

While sort by name reverse order might not be so handy, sort by size in reverse order certainly is handy.

------------------
Tadd Torborg

Tim Weston
Jan 19, 2000, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the inputs!

I've been offline for a few days but will check it when I get home at the weekend. I did look for a small triangle but I must be going blind in my middle years and missed it!

Tim

RockLord
Jan 20, 2000, 01:13 PM

BTW you can select between arrange by name or date or whatever by clicking on the column heading buttons in any finder window. And the reverse order triangle in the corner is great when selectively getting rid of old files for example. JUst click on the date column header and click the little triangle for either oldest files at the top of a list view or the newest. In addition ther are some other tricks you can do with list views, such as resize or reorder columns the way you want in each finder window. Go, experiment, enjoy more MacOS goodness....

[This message has been edited by RockLord (edited 01-20-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules