Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Net Speed

Net Speed
nickrock
Feb 3, 2000, 08:55 PM

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a clue as to why my Web browers are SO slow pulling up web pages lately? I haven't installed anything, and my net connection is peachy keen. I've tried three different browsers all with the same results. I use FreePPP and Mindspring. Any help is appreciated.

nick

Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2000, 09:06 PM

my turn to be curious: why do you use FreePPP? do you have an older Mac running an older MacOS?

nickrock
Feb 3, 2000, 09:12 PM

Well...actually, I'd be curious as to what I should use instead. I have an iMac DVSE running OS9, and it's my first Mac. I've had it for all of two weeks, so maybe I'm just reaching around my elbow to get to my rear but...

I'd like to use Remote Access part of OS9, but It only dials once, if the number is busy then you have to re-enter name and password and manually tell it to dial again. I need MULTIPLE redial capabilities. (It's a long story.) So any recommendations for a good dialer would be appreciated.

nick

[This message has been edited by nickrock (edited 02-03-2000).]

Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2000, 09:18 PM

ah, you certainly can get redial capability in Remote Access, it is built-in... see the RA control panel and hit the Options button... and you should not be using anything other than MacOS software to connect to your ISP.

that said, your Internet Pref's may be corrupted (trash Internet Pref's and restart and reset Internet control panel)

it is a good idea to keep a copy of freshly generated Internet Pref's file for backup so the next time you need not reset the Internet control panel.

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 02-03-2000).]

Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2000, 12:00 AM

Can you be more specific about how the browsers are taking a long time to "load pages."??

You need to narrow down where the slowdown is: Is it in the way the browser is pulling data from the web server(s), or is it a slowdown when your browser goes to look up an address from your name server (DNS).

How to tell: Open your connection. Launch Netscape (or Exploder if you must). Enter address in location field. Enter. Without moving mouse, look at the bottom left corner of the Netscape window. You'll see "looking up <A HREF="http://www.domain.com"" TARGET=_blank>www.domain.com"</A> and "connecting to <A HREF="http://www.domain.com"." TARGET=_blank>www.domain.com".</A> If EVERY DNS lookup is taking a long time, then it's likely you need to change your TCP/IP settings to changed. For instance, you may have three name servers entered in your TCP/IP control panel and the only one that is currently working is the third one. This means that your computer is looking at the first name server, timingout, trying the second, timing out, and finally resolving the domain name on the third. This could be the cause of your slowdown.

If the browser is slow in redrawing pictures or loading data, then there are other issues involved. A good way to test your data transfer rate is to download something via an FTP client.

------------------
Damien Barrett
http://www.mrbarrett.com

bamadhaj
Feb 4, 2000, 12:57 AM

how about creating a ram disk on your desktop and directing your brower to download its cache to the ram disk ? i could be wrong but i read in Macworld that apart from turning off graphics - doing the above increases your net speed .

RockLord
Feb 4, 2000, 01:08 PM

There are some good suggestions for you, nickrock. Also, try the ram disk thing! I use a 10meg ram disk for my browser cache and it speed up the browser considerably, no matter what type of net connection you are using. And if all you are doing is reading pages, it saves your harddrive a bit by allowing it to spion down while everything goes into ram, neat!

Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2000, 06:38 PM

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about this resource:
http://www.macintouch.com/browserperf.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules