Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Importing playlists into iTunes? Or "Syncing" with an iBook?

Importing playlists into iTunes? Or "Syncing" with an iBook?
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2001, 10:34 AM

Ever since I upgraded to 10.1, (and I've been able to see my Linux-based MP3 collection over Netatalk from my Macs), I've been playing more with iTunes on my laptop. I have to say that it's neat to be able to play my MP3 collection from anywhere, via AirPort, without having to have it all on my iBook drive.

However, I'd like to be able to bring some of my MP3's along with me on my laptop. Not all of them, since I have a lot (the first thing I do with my new CD's is rip them.) And, I'd like to be able to change which ones I have whenever I want. In short, I want the same "Sync" behavior that the iPod will exhibit, only with my iBook instead.

Now, Apple's response will probably be, "So why don't you just buy an iPod, you cheap bastard!", so I doubt this functionality will ever be in iTunes. But I can handle manually copying albums from my Netatalk drive when I want them. The problem, of course, is the playlists. Once I copy the MP3's over to my iBook, I need a new playlist that has the songs in the proper order. It would suck to not have an automated way to do that. On Linux, I can just copy the playlist with the MP3's, but iTunes doesn't save them separately.

To make a long story short, I'd like to be able to import playlists into iTunes. Is there any way to do that? (If there is, I can't find it.) Will this (Or the iBook Syncing feature) be available in iTunes 2?

Thanks.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules