Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.1

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2001, 10:55 AM

I have 9.1 on my hard drive. To install do I have to go to extensions 9.04 all or 9.04 base then install the update .And then go to my settings. extensions? The installer is not very clear on how to install. I have G4 450 dual with radeon agp retail card and 1 gig ram, confused.

Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2001, 03:28 PM

Don't know if it matters. In the past I've used the updater no problem. But just boot using Mac OS Base. That should be fine. Otherwise, you might be able to boot using your OS 9 CD, then run the 9.1 updater.

Senior User
Nov 3, 2001, 03:53 PM

No need to mess with settings in your extension manager, leave them on "my settings."
Try installing with extensions loaded. Drag the installer to the desktop first. If normal installation cannot proceed, restart holding "shift" key. This will boot with extensions off. Now install using installer on desktop.
Who are the Brain Police?

Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2001, 05:48 PM

Don't do it... I found the 9.1 updater horrible... ALL Apples OS updaters are... get the full disc somehow.

Anyway, 9.04 rocks.

Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2001, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>Don't do it... I found the 9.1 updater horrible... ALL Apples OS updaters are... get the full disc somehow.

Anyway, 9.04 rocks.</STRONG>
yep, I somewhat agree. The updates are usually somehow not as good as the full install CD's. On most systems, 9.1 is better than 9.0.4, but I know any update gives some users headaches.

Senior User
Nov 4, 2001, 03:25 PM

I disagree with you guys on this one. There may be problems with a 56k modem, but with DSL, I have found the Apple upgrade downloads to be, for the most part, quick and painless. And to work as expected afterwards.
And what is the alternative? Buy an update disk every time for more money? Don't make the update?
I guess I'm just glad I have DSL.
Who are the Brain Police?

Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2001, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by Fredo:
<STRONG>I disagree with you guys on this one. There may be problems with a 56k modem, but with DSL, I have found the Apple upgrade downloads to be, for the most part, quick and painless. And to work as expected afterwards.
And what is the alternative? Buy an update disk every time for more money? Don't make the update?
I guess I'm just glad I have DSL. </STRONG>
HOW you DL it has nothing to do with it.

The updates themselves suck.

No, don't get an update CD cause they suck too.

Buy the original version (9.0 for example), then pirate full versions of updates. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules