Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iTunes 2/Windows Media decoder

iTunes 2/Windows Media decoder
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2001, 02:46 PM

I really wish iTunes could play back WMA files. I know it's a lame format and I know Audion can do it, but it would be nice to only have to use 1 super player to do it all (ala Winamp for Windows). When it comes to listening to music online WMA's are quickly becoming a more common format I find myself out in the cold more often than not. Nothing is sadder than watching iTunes pop to the foreground and buffer away only to stall at the dreaded .wma file.

Who knows when the Windows Media Player for OSX is going to be available and judging by the OS9 version, we don't really have much to look forward to. Is there some shareware utility available that I'm just not aware of? Anybody else feel this? Just a thought.

Justin

Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2001, 12:43 PM

what? audion can decode .wma? are you sure 'bout that?
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2001, 01:05 PM

Yeah, Audion can play .WMA. Go to Tools>Console>Decoders and select WMA. I believe that feature was implemented in version 2.

Justin

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2001, 01:35 PM

Yeah, lets all beg for .wma support in X so we can all do our part to make sure MS dominates with yet another crappy, proprietary format. I personally ignore any proprietary MS anything. I won't even pirate MS programs because that helps maintain their status as the standard.

I'm sure MS won't cry over me but I have to start somewhere.

Maybe I'm a little too activist about this…
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2001, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by smacintush:
<STRONG>I won't even pirate MS programs because that helps maintain their status as the standard.</STRONG>
now thatīs what i call a sophisticated attitude!
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

Forum Links
Forum Rules