Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Can not read a MS-DOS Image

Can not read a MS-DOS Image
jman123
Jan 25, 2000, 02:46 PM

Hey I downloaded a huge image file onto a pc and burned a cd with the image file onto it. When I copied it to the hard drive and tried to mount it it said that the Mac OS could not mount this image. But the image was made using a mac! I just downloaded it to a pc and then trasfered it. Is there software that will convert it to a mac image instead of a MS-DOS. I tried using Shrinkwrap and it did not work. THanks.

mkcos
Jan 25, 2000, 05:35 PM

Hope this isn't repetitive, but make sure that "File Sharing" is turned ans that all the PC extentions are showing. I had kind of the same thing happen to me after I cleverly tried to pare down control panels and extentions. Just a suggestion, as this is what translates things PC to Mac. Hope this helps.

Seagull
Jan 26, 2000, 12:15 AM

There are currently two programs on the Mac that can create disk images, one is Apple's Disk Copy and and the other is Aladdin's ShrinkWrap. Both programs can create 4 types of disk images, read and write, read-only and read-only and compressed and self-mounting image. The first two types can be can be transfer to a PC and then a Mac as they are. But because the second two types contains some important information in the resource fork and since the PC cannot keep the resource fork, you will not be able to mount the disk image on the Mac.

If you have a disk image end with .smi then it is a self mounting image. If your disk image end with .img and you have tried drag and drop it on StuffIt Expander and Disk Copy and they cannot mount the image then the image probably is read-only compressed. Then there is not much you can do.

[This message has been edited by Seagull (edited 01-26-2000).]

Seagull
Jan 26, 2000, 08:43 AM

So next time you download a disk image to a PC, make sure that the disk image is either read and write or read only. If the disk image is a self-mounting image or a read-only compressed image then you should only download it if it is encoded in MacBinary (.bin) or BinHex (.hqx) or compressed in StuffIt (.sit) format.

jman123
Jan 26, 2000, 01:29 PM

Thank you very much for the information you have been a good source of information for me too bad it won't work now . I will remember this next time.

Seagull
Jan 26, 2000, 01:56 PM

Hang on. Since you have put a lot of time and effort into downloading the file and burning a CD, I think I may have a possible solution for you. What you could do is contact the people where the disk image was, ask them to run the free Apple's ResEdit program, create a new resource file and copy the resource from the disk image and paste it on to the file. Then ask them to stuff the file into StuffIt (.sit) format for you to download. This file will be very small, less than 10K I may think.

When you get this file, unstuffit and open the resource with ResEdit, select all the resource and select Copy from the Edit menu. Move the disk image from your CD into the hard disk and open it up with ResEdit then select Paste from the Edit menu to paste the resource into it. Save and quit ResEdit. The disk image should now be able to mount on the desktop.

jman123
Jan 26, 2000, 08:52 PM

Thank you Seagull this sounds like a good idea if it works You are all and mighty! Thank you.

Seagull
Jan 27, 2000, 01:54 AM

I should have included this information in the last message but I need to add that before quiting ResEdit, select Get Info from the File menu of ResEdit. Change the file type of the disk image to "rohd" for read-only disk and the file creator to either "ddsk" if the disk image was created with Disk Copy or to "Wrap" if it was created with ShrinkWrap. Save and quit ResEdit. You should now be able to mount the disk image on the desktop.

[This message has been edited by Seagull (edited 01-27-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules