Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Help! extensions & os 9.2 menus...

Help! extensions & os 9.2 menus...
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2001, 01:39 AM

Hi all, im new to macnn as well as macs in general so please bear with me.

Problems: 1. the extensions manager comes up every time i boot up. 2. the menus in 9.2 (haven't checked 10.1), i.e. everything in the white bar at the top, requires me to click and hold instead of it staying onscreen if i just click it. (quite annoyng)

What I did: while reading up on my 17" studio display, i found out there are buttons on the front of my lcd screen, so i played with them. pressing the power on the screen powered up the comp, and while it was booting, i pressed the energy button (which was suppose to bring up the monitor preferences). but, i did this before i was in the actual os, so when it got to the part where the little icons appear on the bottom while t boots, there was this msg about extensions and saving it or something, i didn't really read it since i thought it was a minor thing on the account of me playing around with the little button on the monitor. But, when i got in the os, the menu thing started happening, so i rebooted (works in windows...) but it's not fixed and the extensions manager now opens every time i boot up (before the icons on the bottom start loading).

this is my first mac, so im not used to this concept of extensions...plz help.

Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2001, 05:35 AM

Well, welcome to the mac & MacNN

Your description of the problem is a little cryptic, but I'll start here....

Extensions are *similar* in concept to DLL's in windows, little add on hooks into the OS that add features or functions

And the Extensions manager is simply a GUI tool for managing those extensions, so you can enable & disable various extensions at will. You can even make up different "sets" to load at boot time for specific computing tasks, like gaming or 3D modeling ect ect, that will best utilize system resources for the task at hand while reducing the overhead required by the OS to run funtions that you may not need at the time.....Anyway, the EM should not be opening at every boot up without your direction.

Try holding down the space bar while booting up, which WILL make the EM open, and choose the "Base" set and clik on continue to proceed thru the start-up and see what happens next.

As for the menu bar thing, it almost sounds like you need to reset the monitor resolution, and/or dont have the drivers installed/enabled for the monitor, which provide the additional features that are associated with the buttons on the monitor.

ps.... it helps to list the hardware model and other system info when asking for help ......the more info the better......makes it easier to narrow down the possible solutions

lets see if we can figure this out.....you are among friends !

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: bowwowman ]
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

werdna  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2001, 09:15 AM

wow, thanks borrowman! i think you're a little more effective than you originally thought...i held the space bar like you said and i didn't even need to switch to os 9.2.1 base extensions, the menus started working properly again. i restarted once just to make sure, and now the EM doesn't popup anymore and the menus are fine! thx a lot!

in case you're wondering, it's a g4 D800, 1.2GB ram, geforce 2 mx, 40GB@5400 + 60GB@7200, cdr, and 17" apple studio display

Forum Links
Forum Rules