Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Linux2000 disk image not loading

Linux2000 disk image not loading
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2000, 03:16 AM

Moderator:

I am not quite sure whether to post this message in the OS forum or 3rd party software...

-----------

After it was announced, I downloaded LinuxPPC 2000. The document appeared to be a diskcopy image file, but neither DiskCopy nor Shrinkwrap open the document. At first I thought that some transmission error occurred, but after three other tries I am stuck with the exact same problem. I have looked across the LinuxPPC webpage and found no answers for Linux2000 users. Does anyone else have this problem?
Check out my URL and PGP key.

Seagull
Mar 1, 2000, 08:45 AM

What is the exact address where you downloaded the disk image?

Seagull
Mar 1, 2000, 08:53 AM

If you downloaded an image like one of those at http://ftp.linuxppc.org/ftp/linuxppc-2000/images/ then I am afraid it may not be a Disk Copy or ShrinkWrap disk image. I think that may be because there are many other computers other than Macs that can use LinuxPPC so the people at LinuxPPC may made those images useable on computers other than Macs as well.

I can't find a place containing any information about how to use those disk images, but you should keep the disk image you download, you probably can find out how to use it later on.

Seagull
Mar 1, 2000, 09:39 AM

On the subject of disk images, there is a useful little program comes with the Blue Label software package that allows you to convert many non-Macintosh disk images into Disk Copy disk images. You would be able to mount some of those disk images on the desktop and some you cannot because the disks are not in a format the Mac can recognize.

One interesting thing you may want to do is go to the Be site at http://www.be.com/ get the BeOS 4.5.2 boot disk image. Use the program to convert it into a Disk Copy disk image and use the disk image as a boot disk on Virtual PC.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2000, 02:46 PM

I have tried all of the above options-neither of which really suit my purposes. I already have VirtualPC which is supposed to be the better PC emulator and it makes little sense to buy a PC emulator just to use Linux! The BeOS will not work on my WallStreet PBg3. Any other suggestions?

Linda
Mar 7, 2000, 12:51 PM

This is from the LinuxPPC mailing list (thanks Rick):

There is a problem with Toast and MacOS 9. Toast can't mount CD images on MacOS 9. What I did was to drop the image on Toast, and to burn it a first time. Then I did put the burnt-CD in the CD driver, and I dropped it on Toast, this time with the possibility to tell it it was a bootable CD, and I burnt a new CD. So my second CD was bootable.

And this one:

1) Make sure you download it in binary mode (not ASCII)
2) Use Toast
3) Select "Disk Image" from the Toast menu
4) Drag the image to the Toast window.
5) Hit burn (don't try to mount it)

Hope this helps.

Linda

[This message has been edited by Linda (edited 03-07-2000).]

rleatherwood
Mar 7, 2000, 06:22 PM

The image is not a diskcopy image. Its an ISO image used by Adaptec's Toast and other CD software to burn CDs.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2000, 09:44 PM

Is there any way to mount this ISO disk? Could I open it in Windows and then copy the documetns into a Mac folder? I have no burner and being stuck with a USB/FireWire-less mac I do not want to buy a SCSI burner.

CK

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2000, 07:06 AM

Correct, it is an ISO image. Toast will let you mount it, and there is a little utility floating around (not sure where I got it) called Toast ImageMounter (~50k app) - drag and drop onto it, and it will mount it.

However, you will either need to burn a CD of it or have a free partition to install from - you need to boot off the image so you can install, which is, AFAIK, impossible using an image mounting app.

Forum Links
Forum Rules