Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > stability.

stability.
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2001, 11:43 PM

just an observation:
i've been running 9.2.1 since it became available.
i've done a lot of hacks to my system (resedit stuff mostly), running a good number of custom extensions & control panels, a custom theme...
and no crashes or freezes in ages(& i use my powerbook g3 constantly)...

just impressed with the stability i've been experiencing.

to be honest, the os i have to use when i freelance (windows 2000 professional, dell desktop) is stable too, just boring as hell (& ugly).

the mac os rules!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2001, 03:28 PM

I use 9.1 on my iMac 350, and the thing crashes every day! AT LEAST!
-c

Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2001, 04:29 PM

update to 9.2.1 (or at least reinstall your system).
try zapping the pram.
have you run first aid?
backup your data FIRST!
get conflict catcher & run it's tests.
do SOMETHING!

NOBODY'S computer (on ANY platform) should crash daily...
try some software fixes...
then consider...taking it in for repair... (if all else fails)

(btw my powerbook finally froze after printing from simpletext this morning...sigh...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2001, 09:49 AM

Even if I use techtool pro or norton utilities or disk first aid, it can't find really troublesome stuff, only some minor problems.
I don't know why the thing crashes a lot. Well I think it has something to do with netscape 6, ICQ, limewire and putting the computer to sleep. After I've run these programs and putting the computer to sleep sometimes, the computer crashes if I want to shut it down (most likely) and sometimes even when it's just doing something.

I really should do a clean install, but I haven't got any time to do so.
thx for the input!
-c

<KarlVB>
Nov 11, 2001, 06:08 AM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
<STRONG>just an observation:
i've been running 9.2.1 since it became available.
i've done a lot of hacks to my system (resedit stuff mostly), running a good number of custom extensions & control panels, a custom theme...
and no crashes or freezes in ages(& i use my powerbook g3 constantly)...

just impressed with the stability i've been experiencing.

to be honest, the os i have to use when i freelance (windows 2000 professional, dell desktop) is stable too, just boring as hell (& ugly).

the mac os rules! </STRONG>
I agree FisherKing, I did a clean install of 9.1, followed by the 9.2.1 upgrade that comes with the 10.1 upgrade CD and absolutely zero issues. I have found it extremely stable.

Hand across heart I confirm and confide "MACOS is unequalled"

Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2001, 02:55 PM

caifara-
after updating to OS 9.2.1 you might want to look into firmware update 4.1.9 for imac...
it's actually helped my imac run much smoother in 9.2.1

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: grand illusion ]
They're coming to take me away, ha-haa!!! To the funny farm, where life is beautiful all the time...

Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2001, 04:43 PM

caifara,
back-up, zero data, install 9.2.1, get updates, manage those extensions, have a smoke, download Tech Tool lite, zap pram, rebuild desktop, have a smoke.

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: a-poria ]

Senior User
Nov 13, 2001, 10:24 PM

Stability has a whole heck of a lot more to do with exactly what you're doing on your machine that what you're running on your machine. Saying that Mac OS 9.2.1 should be running on someone else's machine running different apps, different hardware, and different computer interactional habits w/out crashes b/c it works fine on your machine is simply absurd.

Full time Mac support technician here and the only Macintosh i have ever seen run stable (ie: no crashes after 5-6 hours of straight use, multiple app launches/quits, heavy internet, etc) is my old Wallstreet Powerbook G3 running Mac OS 8.6. Why? I have no idea. Running same exact apps/memory under OS 9+ exhibits regular lock-ups.

In fact, every "new-world" based Macintosh i have seen/used has (after it's initial break-in period) exhibited consistent system lock-ups, stalls, or required restarts under heavy use in "classic" MacOS (7/8/9). Maybe i'll even start up a new thread asking this very question: Are "new world" Macs inherently more crash-prone than prior models?

Mind you: i'm talking heavy use. IOW: 5+ apps running at all times, force-quits when apps stall, hot-swapping of USB/Firewire devices regularly.

Honestly, i've loved the design of Apple hardware and OS X shows incredible promise, but in comparing our Mac OS 9.1 clients versus our Windows 2000 clients there's a dramatic difference in system stability.

Speed

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: SpeedRacer ]

Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2001, 10:37 PM

I run Photoshop and Illustrator (usually side by side) while playing tunes, chatting on AIM and usually doing some sort of network thang (Hotline, carracho, AIMster). 9.2 hasn't froze in a good 5 weeks now. Who needs OSX???? 9.2, when installed properly, is as stable as anyone could want an OS to be..

Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2001, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by sek929:
<STRONG>I run Photoshop and Illustrator (usually side by side) while playing tunes, chatting on AIM and usually doing some sort of network thang (Hotline, carracho, AIMster). 9.2 hasn't froze in a good 5 weeks now. Who needs OSX???? 9.2, when installed properly, is as stable as anyone could want an OS to be..</STRONG>
agreed! i made it about 5 weeks as well, with constant use, surfing, downloading, photoshop, dreamweaver, etc...all with itunes in the backround.

Senior User
Nov 14, 2001, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by sek929:
<STRONG>I run Photoshop and Illustrator (usually side by side) while playing tunes, chatting on AIM and usually doing some sort of network thang (Hotline, carracho, AIMster). 9.2 hasn't froze in a good 5 weeks now. Who needs OSX???? 9.2, when installed properly, is as stable as anyone could want an OS to be..</STRONG>
Again... my point is not to knock those out you there having good luck with their current OS 9/8 setups, but just to point out that considering OS foundations alone there is just significantly less likely of a chance to experience system-wide crashes/hangs in Win2000 or OS X than OS 9 - a fact that i see everyday in our public Mac/Windows labs where the Macs are restarted at least 2-3 times/day versus the Dell/2000 boxes (on rare ocassions) 1x/day.

Ironically, as a long-time Mac user it is almost more frustrating now that OS X is out b/c it seems like a choice between stability/multitasking (in X) or applications/performance (in X). Hopefully w/in 6 months from now, when the Jobsian clock/timeline hits midnight and X is shipping as the default OS, there will not be such a clear division to deal with.

Speed

VRL
Senior User
Nov 14, 2001, 06:26 AM

In reality, the user usually causes more problems than an OS or hardware. (At least in my experience, when helping others.)

In my office/home, I have 6 Macs running 7.5.5 (PPC), 7.5.5 (68K), 8.1, 8.6, 9.1, 9.2.1 and OS X (10.1). My computers are heavily used and always on (serving web pages, controlling home automation, running database software, etc. Plus, they are my tools for site design and software development and testing). I rarely have a system crash on ANY of them. Why? I know my computers, and take good care of all of them. (Optimize frequently, use only "legal software", etc.)

BTW, I also have a PC (Windows NT4, 98, Linux). It rarely crashes either, but I don't do nearly as much work on this computer - for testing mostly.

The Mac OS is stable, and user-friendly. I prefer it.
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2001, 10:25 AM

The stability in 9.2 is fabulous. It's definitely up there with 10.1. I've been running 9.2 for a while now and I haven't had any crashes at all. I dont' run any hardcore programs like Photoshop or anything like that, but it's still stable. My opinion, it's a lot better than 9.1 in stability.

Forum Links
Forum Rules