Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iTunes2 vs. Pismo vs. External Firewire CDRW vs. Ripping

iTunes2 vs. Pismo vs. External Firewire CDRW vs. Ripping
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2001, 11:33 PM

Hi. I was ripping CD's into iTunes using my g/f's new 24x/12x/40x QPS external FireWire(tm) cd burner.

I noticed that iTunes2 first "extracts" the track and then "imports" it. The extraction is extremely fast - it usually takes a few seconds per ~5 min track and says ~ 24x.

The "import" is much slower - I forgot what iTunes says but I believe it's around 4x when no other programs are running and iTunes is the active application.

I tried to rip Sahah McLachlan's "Surfacing" enhanced CD. The external cdrw wouldn't see the audio session so I ejected it and put it in my Pismo 500/12g/1gig (yes, 1 gig RAM, baby!) which mounted the 2 sessions separately using the internal CD/DVD drive.

When I rip the tracks I notice that iTunes never goes thru the "extract" phase but goes directly to the "import" portion - again around 4x.

I'm assuming the "import" to MP3 (192, stereo) is dependent mostly on my processor speed but why does iTunes have to go thru the extra "extract" phase with the external CD burner?

It doesn't bother me since that phase only takes like 2 or 3 seconds per track but I'd still like to know why it needs to go thru this phase first for each track.

<kudos>Thank God for iTunes2 equalizer- I can FINALLY use my external amplified Altec Lansing AC3 which now don't sound sooooo bottom-heavy anymore!</kudos>

Raman  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2001, 11:25 AM

cmon' no one knows?

Forum Links
Forum Rules