Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > hard disk problems

hard disk problems
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 1999, 01:57 PM

Hi all, I have a beige G3 and a hard disk that's having "issues". Is there a way to boot the mac w/o mounting the hard disk? Is it something that can be done in open firmware? Thanks in advance.

Dan

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 1999, 09:01 PM

Hi: Boot from your original system CD and you won't be on the hard disk. Just put the CD in and restart while holding down the "C" key. Keep holding until you see the blue desktop covered with images of CDs. When it finishes loading, you can use the disk tools to analyze... disk first aid etc to check the Hard drive and possibly repair.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 1999, 02:18 AM

Booting from the CD doesn't work. Whenever the hard disk tried to mount, it was crashing the machine. Fortunately, I've made some progress today. The key combo I was looking for was apple-option-shift-delete. I've managed to recover some files. I'll get the rest of them tomorrow.

Dan

Admin Emeritus
Nov 24, 1999, 02:02 AM

When booting off the CD, did the hard drive make the machine *freeze*, or did it just make clicking noises indefinitely?

If it is the latter, the OS *will* eventually give up trying to mount the disk and declare it damaged. After that you can use Disk First Aid or another utility to fix the problem. Note that the same long delay will occur again when the utility attempts to access the drive, but it too will give up trying to mount it, and will just read it itself, after which repair/recovery will start.

tooki

benhei
Nov 21, 2000, 10:22 AM

I have an iBook SE 366 with a similar problem but apl-opt-shft-del did not seem to prevent the hd from trying to mount or whatever was casuing cd boot to freeze as finder started loading, any suggestions?

------------------
-- benhei

Forum Links
Forum Rules